cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sacman81
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Article 161 Virus aka Mandiant Virus

Last night, my home schooled children, were on an educational website when an attention message popped up.

Mandiant lock screen virus

I have been informed that this is a virus.  Is this being removed by McAfee?

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Article 161 Virus aka Mandiant Virus

It's a hoax. I don't know if it's detected as most of these things aren't activated unless someone clicks on them.  That website must have been compromised, I suggest avoiding it in future..

There is a good removal guide for it here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-mandiant-usa-cyber-security-ransomware

See the last link in my signature below for ideas regarding ransomware and some free tools that can be used.

None of the regular antivirus applications catch them because of the way they work.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Ex_Brit wrote:

It's a hoax.

Well, not exactly a hoax.

this is a computer infection and not a legitimate message from any government agency

See this Microsoft page for some more information.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Trojan:Win32/Urausy

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

I meant a scam, sorry.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community