Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wiku1979
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Antivirus Plus for Windows XP

Jump to solution

Hi,

my colleage bought a license for McAffee AntiVirus 2015 and asked me to install it on his computer. Unfortunately his computer has Windows XP operating system installed, but AntiVirus Plus 2015 is supposed only Windows Vista and above. Is there a version that supports Windows XP? Can we use the key mentoined above on older versions too? What else we can do??

Much thanks in before,

wiku1979

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Re: Antivirus Plus for Windows XP

Jump to solution

Moved to Virus and Spyware Protection > Virus Scan > Discussions By Moderator

Unfortunately I would think not. As support for Windows Xp Sp3 by McAfee ends this year as well. As you stated, by the System requirements as listed here Anti virus Software, Virus Protection Scan, Antivirus Plus 2015 | McAfee  I would think your best bet would be to upgrade to Windows 7 Sp1 at the minimum.

Perhaps a Colleague may add to the discussion as well.

All the Very Best

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

View solution in original post

7 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Moved to Virus and Spyware Protection > Virus Scan > Discussions By Moderator

Unfortunately I would think not. As support for Windows Xp Sp3 by McAfee ends this year as well. As you stated, by the System requirements as listed here Anti virus Software, Virus Protection Scan, Antivirus Plus 2015 | McAfee  I would think your best bet would be to upgrade to Windows 7 Sp1 at the minimum.

Perhaps a Colleague may add to the discussion as well.

All the Very Best

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Of course if you find upgrading to Windows 7 Sp1 not feasible, you can always contact Customer Service and explain your situation.  Services and Support for Home and Office

Good Luck

All the best

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Support for XP SP3 (x86 only) expires sometime this year (April 8 I believe which is the 1 year anniversary of Microsoft's extended support ending) so theoretically it should still install but really not worth trying.

As Vista was so problematic for so many regarding drivers and suchlike best skip that and in any case its extended support runs out in 2 years time.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, which tells you if the system can take an upgrade, is here:  Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Windows 7 Help Forums

It will work for XP SP3 as long as at least .net version 2.0 is installed.

wiku1979
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

I had a nice chat session with McAffee support now. All in all - since upgrading the system is no option (cost for O/S, hardware, work) the only thing we can try is to go to the seller and try to get refund.

Thanks for your help.

Willi

wiku1979
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

@Ex_Brit:

Have much thanks for your suggestions.

Willi

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

OK, good luck 😉

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

You are quite welcome   I hope you are successful in  your endeavor.

All the very Best,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community