Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 18

RE: Annoyance: Manual Scan brings up SC window

OK guys, this time I've made it a demand for the developers in our next conference call which isn't until 20 Oct.
DaGopha
Former Member
Message 12 of 18

I guess it's not important to the functioning of the program. But it's mightily irritating to the user. There's no purpose or reason for it to do this if it didn't do it in 2008.

So now, there are three separate instances that report the results of a manual scan (as you say, regardless of scanning 1 or 1000 files):

1) the popup window
2) the task tray icon
3) the SC window

overkill or what?

Cheers,
Gopha.
DaGopha
Former Member
Message 13 of 18

Perhaps demanding the update-thru-proxy would be a good idea also - but judging from the track record on that count, I guess it's all a brick wall... wink
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 18

That's been flogged to death. It would mean a whole re-design of the way McAfee operates.
DaGopha
Former Member
Message 15 of 18

Yeah, I guess so. Shame tho' - because we had the fixproxytoolthingie.exe before for the previous version. I spoke to some McAfee reps at a tech expo earlier in the year. They acknowledged that a lot of customers had raised this with them. But they could do nothing but recommend that users move to their VS Enterprise for small business environments. Apparently this permits both thru-proxy updates and direct HTTP updates too.

Cheers,
Goph.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 18

I have put in a firm request that they alter this behaviour back to what it was.....keep your fingers crossed.
DaGopha
Former Member
Message 17 of 18

Cheers, fingers-crossed indeed!
kw_godwin
Former Member
Message 18 of 18

Da Gopha, thanks for your post! This truly is annoying.

Ex Brit, thanks for taking this up with McAfee.

Is there any chance of getting them to change the default action of the pop-up? If not, is there anything I can do to change the default setting (registry tweak, etc)?

Currently the default action is to open SC. I would rather the default action be to close the pop-up. I would only want more details (e.g. open SC) if a file were infected. 99.999999% of the items I scan are clean, so I don't need to see further details. My point is, 99.99...% of the time I have to make 3 clicks to close the alert, and the 1-click convenient access to SC is beneficial only .000001% of the time. So much for the 80/20 rule!

I would also suggest that closing the pop-up also removes the system tray scan alert icon.

McAfee used to work in the preferred way years ago...a pop-up to show results and only one click was required to deal with it. Once click to close it or one click for details.

A suggestion: Return to the old (simpler) days:
• Return to the single pop-up showing scan results
• ...with two simple buttons to either close it or get more info.
• ...and position it near the mouse-click that requested the manual scan.
• ...and a big green check-mark if all is OK or a big red X if a problem is found.
Here's why:
• The current pop-up and system tray alerts are in the lower-right corner
• With today's large, hi-res and dual monitor systems, the lower-right corner is two mouse-drags away
• Both of the current alerts require multiple clicks even if no problems are found (annoying)
• McAfee is best when it is least intrusive (assuming systems are green), yet very intrusive if something bad happens.

Thanks for listening!
Ken
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community