cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnDenver
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

ActiveShield components missing after install error

Hello. Recently I upgraded my McAfee package to Total Protection, and I clicked the download link in
My Account on www.mcafee.com. I didn't know if I should uninstall my prior McAfee software before
installing the upgrade. If it mattered or not, or if the installer hopefully detected any McAfee software
and warned to uninstall it. Not knowing I decided not to uninstall anything, and I didn't interfere
in any way while installing (No internet usage, nothing that might slow/corrupt it.).

However, it keeps giving me the error, "Some components of ActiveShield are either missing or might not
have been installed properly." after booting. Should I have uninstalled first? Most everything else
seems to be OK, but whatever I definitely did wrong I don't want to cause more damage. I need some
expert advice please. Should I try the download link again without uninstalling, or should I first use
Windows Add or Remove Programs, then McAfee Consumer Products Removal MCPR tool: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507 I'm thinking the latter. Any and all help
is definitely appreciated, please... Thank you...
3 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

RE: ActiveShield components missing after install error

Hi,

Basically we have to remove the previous version of McAfee if we are installing the different version of McAfee product. First preference would be un-installing the McAfee product from the Add and remove program list and if we have any issue then we can run the MCPR tool to remove the McAfee files.
Try to reinstall the McAfee from the website account
let us know if it works
JohnDenver
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

ActiveShield install error FIXED

Hello. Thank you for responding, I appreciate it. The Windows Add/Remove Programs, then MCPR uninstall
worked perfectly. Everything is updating and working brilliantly, thank you! I lost my internet connection
(broadband and dial-up) from a drive-by trojan for some time, after fixing that I rushed installing the
McAfee upgrade. The ActiveShield error message doesn't appear after booting, as well as a couple other
minor things that got fixed; more proof it's working flawlessly, thank you! I ran McAfee Virtual Technician
for good measure and it found no problems. I'm entirely happy and convinced this is fixed, solved and
resolved. Thank you... Peace...
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

RE: ActiveShield install error FIXED

G’ lad to know you’re issue is been fixed please get back to us if you have any issue in the future.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community