cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
csc32
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Access Protection 30-day Auto-removal policy not working.

After discovering 8 months worth of *.BUP files (all cookies) in the Virusscan Quarantine folder I manually deleted them.  According to McAfee Support they should be deleted/removed automattically after 30-days based on the Access Protection Manager Policy.   This obviously is not happening.  Does anyone know how to check this feature?  Where is the 30-day key in the System Registry and what is the correct content of the registry entry?   The operating system is Windows Vista Home Edition and McAfee Internet Security [Virusscan 14.5.130].

Message was edited by: csc32 on 1/10/11 1:38:13 PM CST
8 Replies
Aldrin
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

Re: Access Protection 30-day Auto-removal policy not working.

Well, that’s pretty interesting I wonder if the products are correctly functioning or not. Could you please reply back to my private message so that we shall proceed further on this issue. Thanks.

ElPresidente
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

I too have had thousand of these BUP files in the quarantine folder

ConorD62
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

I also have cookies from 25/4/2010,

I think that is over 30 days..

csc32
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

UPDATE: 
Contacted McAfee Support twice and both times they accessed my PC remotely, and just manually deleted the BUP files (I could do that myself) from the Quarantine Folder.
So I removed McAfee Internet Security product.
Executed the McAfee Removal Tool (MCPR.exe).
Then re-installed McAfee Internet Security.
Waited over a month, yet still no change.  Files over 30-days are NOT being auto-removed from the Quarantine Folder (C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine).

Message was edited by: csc32 on 2/7/11 10:06:16 AM CST
michaelbarnard
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

I'm having the same problem.  Discovered this was the reason my PC took 10 minutes to stop hitting the hard drive every time I booted up.  McAfee was busy doing something with those files.  Once I got rid of them - or rather, had to have "tech" support get rid of them becuase McAfee had them locked - my bootup time went back to normal.

Any hint from McAfee about when this bug will be fixed?  Until then, I have to go to the quarantine directory daily to delete all the accumulated "bup" files, typically about 100 or so.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 9

Will bring this up again at our Monday call.

csc32
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Dear Peacekeeper,
It has been six months since I reported this problem with no solution from McAfee.  That there have been over one thousand views of this problem report indicates it is not an isolated incident.  The negative impact of this ‘McAfee Security Center’ feature on computer performance should be a high priority if McAfee want to maintain credibility with customers.  Please help!

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 9

It appears at least to me that the 30 days cleaning does not work. I put such an idea in the ideas forum so maybe add your thoughts there.

https://community.mcafee.com/ideas/1057

You can manually delete the files but access protection needs to be disabled till it is done. Reenable it after you do it.

C:\programdata\McAfee\virusScan\QUARANTINE        

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community