cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kruk
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

A question about Nvidia

I just bought a new laptop, with an Nvidia gt540m card. When I first accesed the nvidia control panel for assigning what program should use the graphics card instead of the hd graphcs, mcafee deleted one of the files (Uninstall.exe). When I brought it back from the quarantine and rescaned the system everything checks out ok. When I try to work with the control pannel it's ok as well. Even manually scanning the file now shows no malware. My question is: what the hell happened and should I worry about it? Also, what do do to avoid such issues in the future? The only data I have on the issue are the ones found in mcafee's history. As I can't seem to find a way to copy/paste them, I'll try to type them in:

Name of detection: Generic-FRAX!9F72110278FA (Trojan horse)

File: C:\Uninstall.exe

Process: C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Control Panel Client\nvcplui.exe

Process description: NVIDIA Control Panel Application, 3.5.756.0

My system is Windows 7 HP 64bit

The Nvidia driver version is: 268.30

I've been running on Mcafee from the very start (first thing I did was to activate the antivirus) so I'm almost positive there is no virus there.

Thanks for all the help,

Piotr

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: A question about Nvidia

I noticed that happening once a while back with another driver's installer/uninstaller.  Obviously in this case the detection was eventually suppressed.  This happens automatically sometimes and other times the Labs need a prod, see:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

I just updated my Nvidia graphics card drivers to 295.73 with no problems.

kruk
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Thanks very much for clearing things up and for the link about submiting files

If I could just take a bit more of Your time, I would like to ask one more thing. It's about the part at the very end of the post you gave me:

The restore and trust feature used to be included in the home products and still is in the Enterprise/Business products - it has been reinstated in the 2011 consumer products (VirusScan 11 and up), in the scheduled and manual scan settings only but not in real-time scanning settings yet.

So does that mean that if I turn of the real-time scan and run a manual scan on a file, mcafee will ask me wether I wish to add it to the trusted list? And if I do, will the real-time scanner ignore that file later on? Or will it still be throwing it into quarantine?

Thanks again!

Piotr

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

No, prior to running a manual or scheduled scan you have to exclude files and folders in the settings.   If something is suspect real-time scanning will have most likely already quarantined it anyway. 

The only time I've ever know the recent versions ask first is when it's a possibly unwanted program as against a malicious file and then you can allow it, but that's a rare occurrence.

Hence us campaigning to bring back the full exclusion process that we used to have.

I guess this was born out of concern that certain people would purposely ignore malicious files, for whatever reason, thereby possibly endangering a wider number of people on the Internet.

kruk
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Ok, thank You again for the info.

As to bringing back the full exclusion process, well, in my case Mcafee's got something like 14 and a half months to do that (that's when my subscription is due), otherwise I'll probably be switching to something that gives me more control 

Thanks again, regards!

Piotr

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

OK, we shall what happens.  Good luck.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community