Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_120431
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

A file is freezing VirusScan

OK. Simply put:

Every time my McAfee VirusScan runs a scan of my laptop, when it reaches C:\Windows\System32\C_936.NLS, McAfee freezes and my laptop crashes. I’m left with no recourse except turning the laptop off by pressing the power button for a while.

Judging from my last successful scan, this must have started some time between 3/24/10 and 3/31/10. It doesn’t matter what kind of scan; Quick, Full, Scheduled, Manual or manually scanning just the C:\Windows\System32 folder. – Freeze & Crash every time McAfee gets to C_936.NLS. My McAfee is totally up to date; the newest dat, etc.

Beyond simply put:

I’ve tried some other scanners with the following, interesting results.

AdAware crashes my laptop every time it gets to C:\Windows\System32\C_537.NLS

Microsoft’s online: crash every time it gets to C:\Windows\System32\C_932.NLS

Panda online: crash when it gets to C:\Windows\System32\C_932.NLS

Norton online: crash when it reaches C:\Windows\System32\C_860.NLS

So far, only Malwarebytes has successfully completed a scan of my laptop but it reports that there are no problems at all.

I’ve done quite a bit of internet searching but I haven’t found any answers. – I need help.

Thanks for any assistance,

Dave

HP dv6663cl laptop

Vista Home Premium

5 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: A file is freezing VirusScan

Dave~8

Have you seen this link?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 6

Especially part 3 where you could submit it for analysis.

The file C_936.NLS is possibly corrupt, are you in the habit of running Registry Cleaners?  If so stop and reverse what they've done if possible.  Also if you are in the habit of compressing files, folders or drives, stop as this is another cause.

Scanning stopping can also be a sign of disk errors so try this:

Go to Start and type in cmd in the Search box right above the Start orb.

When cmd.exe appears listed above right-click and select "Run as Administrator".

In the cmd window type chkdsk C: /r with the spaces as shown and click Enter

You'll get prompts OK them all and reboot to allow it to proceed.  It takes a while depending on the size of the disk or partition.

If the drive letter is different substitute that letter for C.

Some suggestions to try, hope they help.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Oops I forgot...also see this tutorial on how to do a repair installation of Vista.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html?ltr=R

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/05/10 11:10:23 EDT AM
user_120431
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Thanks guys,

Those are some good questions and nice links:

~Yes, My McAfee is totally up to date, with the latest dat.

~I did run my VirusScan in Safe Mode. It crashed when it reached the same C_936.NLS file.

~I ran Stringer, in Safe Mode. Exactly the same result: crashed at C_936.NLS and because it crashes, I can’t get it to provide any report.

~I had never run any Registry Cleaners prior to this problem. However, after the problem arose, in an attempt to solve it, I have run two Registry Cleaners.

~I had run chkdsk C: /r and it reported no errors on the hd.

~Unfortunately, I don’t have a Vista Installation DVD. All HP provided me is a restore partition and I think its either SP1 or earlier. So, I assume that I can’t do a Repair Installation.

Fwiw, it turns out that the only reason Malwarebytes didn’t cause a crash too is that its default setting was “Quick scan”. When I have Malwarebytes do a full scan, the laptop crashes on C_860.NLS.

Also, fwiw, System File Checker (sfc /scannow) also crashes the laptop.

None of the many scanners that I have run has found any problem files prior to crashing on a NLS file and I think the Panda scan gets very close to the end before reaching the NLS file that freezes it.

Yes, it seems to me that some of my NLS files could be corrupt. If so, how can I fix that? (Note: not all of my NLS files cause a problem. I haven’t tested every NLS file but, I have scanned 86 NLS files higher in number than C_950 with VirusScan and there is no crashing ever.)

Thanks again,

Dave

Message was edited by: Dave~8 on 5/3/10 3:04:57 AM CDT

Message was edited by: Dave~8 on 5/3/10 3:06:31 AM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

If all of them seize up at that file then it must be corrupted, and if you only had a disk it's possible you could extract a fresh one to replace it.

This seems to me to be more of a Windows issue than anything else, however Technical Support Chat may have some ideas.  See Useful Links above.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community