Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 21 of 25

RE: 5434 dat file

I think I can put this down to server glitches...BigJ are you OK now?
bwb1
Former Member
Message 22 of 25

It might be the answer on this occasion, but several times in the past in the past my DAT file never updated at all, to the point where MSC showed a warning. Running MVT that said it did update my DAT file, but the file number did not change, so I had to chat with the McAfee helpline. They said I had to remove Spybot/SuperAntispyware/AdAware and sent me some file to install, but VSC+ only worked correctly for about a week, and then it all happened again. I have lost count of the number of times that I have gone through the chore of uninstalling McAfee, running the clean up tool etc, and then downloading it again. On my laptop I use ESet Security, and that runs perfectly with the above named Antispyware utilities, if this malarkey continues I am beginning to think that I should remove McAfee for good after more years than I can remember, and put ESet on this PC. What do you guys have on your puters that co-exists happily with McAfee VSC+ then??
Cheers.
VirusScan + 2009
Vista Home Premium SP1
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 25

I use SuperAntispyware and Adaware 2008 but not with any resident protection turned on and certainly not any Pro or paid versions...they will clash with McAfee.
Similarly I have used Spybot S/D in the past but learned never to use its Teatimer function, as it too caused problems.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 24 of 25

I used to have Spybot and McAfee earlier but now

i use McAfee 2009 Total Protection and then Malwarebytes Antimalware but i seldom use it unless i need to test something or to run a secondary scan.since it has no resident protection in the free version it does not cause conflicts.
bwb1
Former Member
Message 25 of 25

Thank you both, I now know that it is the 'resident' function that has probably caused all my troubles. I have now put Malwarebytes on my McAfee covered PC to use in a time of -er- crisis.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community