Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
expat-cat
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

using 2nd device even when not selected

Jump to solution

First, the situation:
True key installed on a laptop (windows 10) as an extension in both Chrome and in New Edge.

Also installed on an Android phone.

The 2 browser installs on the laptop are set to advanced security level with master password and Windows Hello factors selected (profile preferences).  NOT 2nd device.

2nd device Is available under Factors and is listed as "active" on the My Factors list in the profile.

There is no way to manage the trusted devices list in the Browser extensions.

Set to require authentication when restarting the browser.

Now the problem

On opening either browser, it goes through the step of asking for the password, then the Windows Hello step.  Usually all is fine after this, but sometimes it brings up a dialogue to "swipe" my 2nd device.  The swipe never gets to the device (though I have seen it turn up a day later) and I have to opt for email conformation to successfully login.  Once in this state, the only way to get back to using only the 2 Factors is to de-install and reinstall in that browser.

Additionally, in the Android app the "manage trusted devices" list shows the browsers multiple times, with dates in the items going back several months.

Any idea how to stop it trying to use 2nd device?

And/or maybe how to get it to use it properly (i.e. quickly) ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
karthikeyan_J
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 14 of 14

Re: using 2nd device even when not selected

Jump to solution

Hi @expat-cat,

I have sent another private message. Please reply to the same with your convenient time today & tomorrow.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
karthikeyan_J
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 14

Jump to solution

Hi @expat-cat,

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience.

Reinstalling True Key extension will display the browser name multiple times. Please got to My Factors -> Trusted Device -> Manage on your browser. Click on the Eye icon and it will show you the last used date. You may leave the recent one and delete the duplicates with older dates.

Also, in the same section, if you click on your mobile device it will show an option "Two Factor Authentication", please turn it off and try to observe if it is still trying to use it as a second device and let us know.

Thanks,

Karthikeyan J

expat-cat
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Jump to solution

Thanks for getting back quickly!

Found the manage devices and deleted the old ones.

Turned off the " two factor authentication" on the mobile device.

Then closed Chrome (where I currently have the problem) and reopened it.  Tried to lo into True Key, went through master password, Hello and then went direct to email confirmation.

So still an extra factor.

Note both browsers will work fine for while, then start asking for another authentication.  Right now Edge is working fine

karthikeyan_J
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 14

Jump to solution

Hi @expat-cat,

We are sorry to know that an extra factor is used by True Key.

Please let us know if you have added Windows Hello as a factor in both Edge & Chrome extensions. Windows Hello needs to be set for each supported device, in this case each browser (Edge and Chrome). Also, did it ask for the 2nd Device authentication after we disabled two factor Authentication? Kindly confirm.

Thanks,
Karthikeyan J

expat-cat
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Jump to solution

Hi,

yes, Hello enabled and setup/working in Chrome and Edge.

When I disabled Two Factor Authentication on the phone in "Manage trusted devices", no additional dialogue came up about 2nd device authentication.

Note that if I remove the extension and reinstall, it uses email in the first setup, then behaves for a while.  But at some point it goes back to asking for a third token (i.e. password , Hello and then email)

karthikeyan_J
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 14

Jump to solution

Hi @expat-cat,

Thank you for responses.

We would like you to clear the cache files of your chrome browser by following the below steps.

- Open Google Chrome
- Settings -> Clear Browsing data

Once done, please try to login again and check if it is asking you to verify email as an extra factor.

Regards,
Karthikeyan J

expat-cat
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Jump to solution

cleared all files/images an the Truekey cookies.

Still uses email confirmation on login to Truekey

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 14

Jump to solution

Good morning,

Let me rephrase last question, can you check on your browser settings that it is not to clear cache upon exit. 

Also, for which browsers are you seeing the issue, I understand that you use Edge and Chrome, are you getting the prompt to enter your email authentication factor for both browsers? For the browser that you are seeing the issue, please send me  screenshot of your security factors window (True Key settings- security factors).

Thanks,

Marc D.

expat-cat
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Jump to solution

Browsers NOT set to clear cache and cookies on exit.

Both new EDGE and Chrome exhibit this behaviour, but up till now not at the same time.

Screenshot attached

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 10 of 14

Jump to solution

Ok so I understand correctly although you have set your security factors to Master password and Windows Hello, authentication flow is going through them and then one more step by sending the email, correct? is this experience happening every time you try to login to True Key  and for which browser, in other words please describe the experience by browser when you see the email authentication step.

Thanks,

Marc D.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community