cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daveplummer
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Wishlist - Option to show master password during entry

I am posting this having watched my wife, who has Parkinson's Disease trying to enter her master password on her Android phone. She makes so many mistakes with the on screen keyboard that she looses her position in the password and can never get it right. If there were a button to display the password in full, or perhaps the last four characters, this would be an enormous help. I am sure that many others with coordination problems, or just big fingers, would find this a boon.

Thanks for considering this.

Dave

3 Replies
KrithikaS
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 4

Re: Wishlist - Option to show master password during entry

Hi @daveplummer 

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. I would like to inform you that. True Key application is a password manager, and all the credentials which contains all the confidential information is managed by True key, so it is designed in such a way that the password that you are entering cannot be seen by others. For instance if the device is lost and if someone tries to access the data in it, it will ask them to enter the master password which only the owner of the device can know. So it is for security reasons. That is the reason there is no option to check the password that you have typed in.

Regards,

Krithika S

daveplummer
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Hi Krithika,

Thank you for responding. From your reply I feel that you have not understood my request properly. I am obviously not suggesting that it should be possible to retrieve a master password in any way. Only that, during entry, there should be an option to display the text being entered. This is not something that most users would want to enable and it would not be appropriate in a crowded environment, however as I assume McAfee is keen to address the needs of all members of the community, whatever their physical abilities, it seems to me to be a small change that could make the product useful to a wider range of users.

Best regards

Dave

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 4

Hello Dave,

I am in total agreement with you that this add on in the master password field could be an useful feature for a lot of people.

While there was a security concern to display the master password field entries this was mostly for an-over-the-shoulder type of attack, being at home with a fixed system the security concern is less relevant. Also, i feel that at the end of the day, we should leave it up to the user to decide if it is convenient or not to display what is typed in the master password field.

Let me bring up this feature request giving it the right priority so it can be added in our backlog.

Thanks for this great suggestion,

Marc D.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community