Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
J-London
Contributor II
Message 1 of 6

Unable to uninstall True Key

Jump to solution

I installed True Key after receiving an email from British Telecom offering it as a free add-on. I have never been able to get the program to work, and now it is impossible to remove it.

I downloaded and installed the app on my Windows 10 PC. I then verified my email, and installed the Add-on (extension) in Firefox 68.0.1.  I then migrated my passwords from Firefox to True Key. However, it was impossible to enable the True Key extension. The page in the browser said "True Key is installed. Now enable it in your browser." But when I clicedk on the button in the pop-up I got the message "The add-on could not be downloaded becase of a connection failure." There was in fact no problem with my wifi connection. The Add-on had already been downloaded and installed. There just appeared to be no way of enabling it. I googled the problem, which appears to have been encountered before, but none of the suggested solutions worked. I tried without success to obtain support from McAfee or BT.

After that things got even worse. The True Key desktop app failed to run, locked me out of my profile and wouldn't let me re-register or reset my password. The error message said "Additional Factors Required. We're sorry. To keep you secure you need at least two factors linked to your profile to reset your Master Password."

Since I had no idea how to follow those instructions, I decided to uninstall TK. Running the uninstaller from Windows 'Add or Remove programs' failed. Revo failed. Attempts to remove files from the command prompt failed, even when running as Administrator. Running the TK Uninstaller from Explorer as Administrator also failed. I was able to remove the add-on from Firefox but attempts to remove it from Chrome failed.

Please can anybody tell me if there is any way to get this program removed from my computer once and for all.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
J-London
Contributor II
Message 6 of 6

Re: Unable to uninstall True Key

Jump to solution

Hello Marc

Thank you for arranging for Felix to contact me. After establishing remote control he reproduced the problem then downloaded a utility that he used to remove everything McAfee from my PC. He was really good and thorough. I am so pleased to have the issue sorted at last, and I promise never to download any software from BT ever again! Your patience and support are much appreciated.

Jennifer

View solution in original post

5 Replies
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Good morning,

Can you please tell me why you weren't able to obtain help from the McAfee support team? Did you contact the right group?

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp

When you get to this link, scroll down all the way to the bottom of the page and click on the “contact support” link, then click on “technical assistance”, click on PC or MAC and this will take you to the contacting support either by chat or phone.

I think, it would be better having someone assist you where they can remote in your system if it is required as I suspect there is a corruption with the installation files .

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

J-London
Contributor II
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Thank you for your response. I agree that the only solution is probably remote assistance. Today I tried McAfee support again and managed to speak to somebody. He understood the problem but said he couldn't do anything for me and told me to contact BT. That was not helpful. I have submitted three formal complaints to BT about True Key over the past month. They refuse to provide any assistance and say I have to contact McAfee for support. So, I have useless software on my computer which I am unable to remove. Can you suggest anything to resolve my problem?

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

I am going to send you a private message in a few minutes.

Thanks,

Marc D.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi there,

As I said, someone will contact you today to assist you.

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

J-London
Contributor II
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Hello Marc

Thank you for arranging for Felix to contact me. After establishing remote control he reproduced the problem then downloaded a utility that he used to remove everything McAfee from my PC. He was really good and thorough. I am so pleased to have the issue sorted at last, and I promise never to download any software from BT ever again! Your patience and support are much appreciated.

Jennifer

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community