cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richard378
Contributor II
Message 1 of 10

Truekey on LInux Ubuntu 18.04 Firefox not autofilling or saving passwords.

Jump to solution

Using Firefox Quantum  65.0.1 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.  True key is usable to look up logins but have to manually use  login data.  It worked maybe once.  Now it does not work at all to auto fill in logins or save passwords for new logins.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 10

Re: Truekey on LInux Ubuntu 18.04 Firefox not autofilling or saving passwords.

Jump to solution

Good morning Richard,

Having True Key work through any browser on a Linux platform has never been officially supported, you might get it to do things but in reality it wont never work as no testing, implementations or bug fixing is been done on it.

No inmediate plans to support it but will advise you if these plans changes and we can include the Linux platform on our roadmap.

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

Good morning Richard,

Having True Key work through any browser on a Linux platform has never been officially supported, you might get it to do things but in reality it wont never work as no testing, implementations or bug fixing is been done on it.

No inmediate plans to support it but will advise you if these plans changes and we can include the Linux platform on our roadmap.

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

richard378
Contributor II
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

I dual boot Windows and Firefox in Windows is unreliable and because Linux is not supported I have switched my main usage away from Truekey.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

Good morning Richard,

If our roadmap changes to include linux support on True Key I will let you know.

Thanks,

Marc D.

Dodgexander
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

It doesn't work on Windows 10 Home 64bit Firefox Quantum 66.0.3 (64-bit)

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/True-Key/True-Key-not-working-properly-on-firefox-quantum/m-p/583810...

Followed the steps above but it still doesn't work. The moderator suggested there was an issue with auto-login with Firefox Quantum and that it was to be fixed (6 months ago)? He also didn't mention that the blue asterisks also don't work.

1. Auto log in/manual blue asterisk login barely works, to give you an example: most websites don't work but when I registered on this forum it first tried (and failed) to auto-log me in with the incorrect details. At this moment it seemed to work.

2. On most websites it may remember the login, but the auto log in doesn't work and the blue asterisks never work when you click them and they flash on/off doing nothing. When you make accounts the auto password suggestion never works either.

You can use the same websites in Chrome and they work, so its not a website specific thing.

Currently it makes TrueKey unusable for me and I feel like if it can't be solved I'll have to move to another password service. Is this going to be fixed?

@marcd 

Dodgexander
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

This will be about the 3rd or 4th time I've had to make this post due to problems with this website. First it didn't let me post without making an account and afterwards it forgot the post I had written, then finally when I got a post through it was marked as spam...I'm now writing this in a text editor so it doesn't happen again.

This issue is not specific to Linux. I am running Firefox Quantum (latest verison) 66.0.3 (64-bit) on Windows 10 Home 64 bit 1803.

There is another previous thread on the same topic here: https://community.mcafee.com/t5/True-Key/True-Key-not-working-properly-on-firefox-quantum/m-p/510407... which has incorrectly been marked with a "solution".

I followed the steps to uninstall and reinstall using the .yml file and its still broken.

A moderator in that thread recognised McAfee are aware there is a known issue with the Firefox Quantum browser where automatic login doesn't work. This was 6 months ago.

These are the problems I have, bearing in mind a lot of these problems are intermittant and seem to work on some sites, not others. Its not a site issue because testing the same sites with Chrome browser work fine.

1. When trying to log in auto-login doesn't work and when it doesn't work trying the manual blue asterisks don't work either, you click on them and they flash and do nothing.
2. Remembering passwords and login info seems to work, but the auto filling that info back in to forms doesn't.
3. Generating passwords on forms never works, I always have to use manual generating.

4. Performance is awful, the extension locks up my computer even.

This makes the extension unusable for me, if it can't be fixed I think I'll have to move to a different password manager.

Is there a solution to this @marcd ?

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I will check if we have had any recent reports of an issue specific with the Firefox Quantum browser True Key extension. Can you please provide me examples of the sites that don't work with FF but work as expected on Chrome.

I just checked and my Firefox browser version is 66.01 and so far it looks like all my stored logins work normally with this browser.

Thanks,

Marc D.

Dodgexander
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

I'll try and get more but here is one:

https://gbatemp.net/

On Chrome, you can choose to make an account and enter email address manually and click on the blue asterisk next to password to successfully generate a password. What doesn't work? Auto generating email, the blue asterisk does nothing there. Auto logging in doesn't work either, blue asterisk don't suggest existing credentials. However when logging in or making an account true key remembers your credentials after the extension prompt.

Continue to account creation on Chrome and the extension detects you are making an account and asks you, it gives you the option to generate password and to remember login.

On Firefox the same website has no password generation, no prompt when you make the account, clicking the blue asterisks do nothing and like Chrome, the auto fill or blue asterisk next to username does not fill. You can continue to make the account and the blue asterisks/auto generation is still broke, theres no prompt yet at the same time it DOES remember your details. When logging in much like Chrome it doesn't auto fill the asterisks are broken.

Another example: https://www.avforums.com/ my existing account creation is saved from using Chrome and using Chrome to log in my username and password prompt comes up allowing me to log in. The blue asterisks also work.

Visiting the same website on Firefox and none of that happens at all, no auto prompt, blue asterisks do nothing and it doesn't remember or even auto generate anything when making an account. There aren't even any blue asterisks when you make an account.

Its like this on most websites for me, the extension is non-functional. You don't get the prompts and popups like you get in chrome which makes it unusable. I'll try add more examples later on.

EDIT* additional websites I have credentials saved but do not work on Firefox and do work on chrome:

https://www.purecard.com

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi there,

This time it worked, I can see it.

I will get back to you latest by tomorrow and will provide my findings.

Thanks,

Marc D.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi there,

We are still investigating this so I should get back to you if I get any updates by the end of this week.

Thanks,

Marc D.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community