cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yydelilah
Former Member
Message 1 of 15

TrueKey uninstall creates registry error (Windows 10)

TrueKey was creating Administrator Event logs in my Windows 10 Home PC, so I wanted to remove it.

Couldn't find it in the list of "Programs & Features" so I looked for it in C:\Program Files... etc

Found the folder and the "uninstall.exe" and tried to run it. All I got back was the "Oops something went wrong .." error. It failed to uninstall TrueKey.

Goggled, and someone suggested downloading and running the "mcpr.exe" utilty from the Mcafee site. It removes all Mcafee apps.

Did that and it removed TrueKey and most the Admin errors it was creating.

But...

It left a Windows registry error that I need help with. The Administrator Event error is:

"The password notification DLL "C:\Program Files\TrueKey\McAfeeTrueKeyPasswordFilter" failed to load with error 126. Please verify that the notification DLL path defined in the registry, HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\Notification Packages, refers to a correct and absolute path (<drive>:\<path>\<filename>.<ext>) and not a relative or invalid path. If the DLL path is correct, please validate that any supporting files are located in the same directory, and that the system account has read access to both the DLL path and any supporting files.  Contact the provider of the notification DLL for additional support. Further details can be found on the web at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=245898."

In Regedit you can see that the contents in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\Notification Packages is:

scecli

"C:\Program Files\TrueKey\McAfeeTrueKeyPasswordFilter"

The mcpr.exe has removed the TrueKey folder and all its contents - including the offending DLL

My question is: Can I safely delete this registry entry?

Any help would be appreciated.

Actual Log:

Log Name:  System
Source:    Microsoft-Windows-Directory-Services-SAM
Date:      24/06/2017 18:26:32
Event ID:  16953

Task Category: None

Level:     Error
Keywords:
User:      SYSTEM
Computer:  MyPC

Description:

The password notification DLL "C:\Program Files\TrueKey\McAfeeTrueKeyPasswordFilter" failed to load with error 126. Please verify that the notification DLL path defined in the registry, HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\Notification Packages, refers to a correct and absolute path (<drive>:\<path>\<filename>.<ext>) and not a relative or invalid path. If the DLL path is correct, please validate that any supporting files are located in the same directory, and that the system account has read access to both the DLL path and any supporting files.  Contact the provider of the notification DLL for additional support. Further details can be found on the web at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=245898.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Directory-Services-SAM" Guid="{0D4FDC09-8C27-494A-BDA0-505E4FD8ADAE}" />
<EventID>16953</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-06-24T17:26:32.174733200Z" />
<EventRecordID>19104</EventRecordID>
<Correlation ActivityID="{041A0DC0-ED0F-0002-E90D-1A040FEDD201}" />
<Execution ProcessID="816" ThreadID="820" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>MyPC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

<EventData Name="SAMMSG_NOTIFICATION_PACKAGE_REGISTRATION_FAILED">

<Data Name="NotificationPackage:">"C:\Program Files\TrueKey\McAfeeTrueKeyPasswordFilter"</Data>
<Data Name="Registry key:">HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\</Data>
<Data Name="Registry value:">Notification Packages</Data>
<Data Name="Error code:">126</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

14 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 15

Re: TrueKey uninstall creates registry error (Windows 10)

If I understand you correctly, you basically only had Truekey installed?  For if you ran the MCPR Tool it would remove any other McAfee software. I will attempt to contact someone from the Truekey Team on your behalf, to better assist you.

​  Could you assist this user please?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 15

I am sorry the Lead Support Engineer is on vacation. I will contact another Team member, however it being the weekend it may be Monday before we hear from him.

"Thank you for your email. I’m out of the office and will be back at July 14th, 2017. During this period,   I will have very limited access to my email. Otherwise I will respond to your emails as soon as possible upon my return."

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
yydelilah
Former Member
Message 4 of 15

Appreciate your help catdaddy. There's no urgency - I'm trying to clean-up my PC, but this one has floored me. Being a Windows registry problem, I'm a little hesitant about just deleting an entry without first getting expert opinion.

thanks   

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 15

Yes I understand. During the interim if you wish you can Contact support.

Via Phone/Online Chat being the most expedient.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 15

Hello,

Is this registry error an issue still?

Thanks,

Marc D

JTCL
Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Hi marcd, I have this same problem, what should I do?

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 15

Good morning,

The original post is 3 years old, can you please let me know what is exactly the issue you are seeing.

In the original post, user was seeing this registry error after uninstalling True Key, is it the same for you?

I would need to know True Key version, error message (screenshots if possible), etc.

Thanks,

Marc D.

kydimos
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

After uninstalling Truekey I have the exact same problem. The pc hangs and is non-responsive. Error message 126 from system:  

Adgangskodebesked-DLL'en "C:\Program Files\TrueKey\McAfeeTrueKeyPasswordFilter" blev ikke indlæst pga. fejlen 126. Sørg for, at stien til besked-DLL'en, der er defineret i registreringsdatabasen, HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\Notification Packages, refererer til en korrekt og absolut sti (<drev>:\<sti>\<filnavn>.<filtypenavn>) og ikke en relativ eller ugyldig sti. 

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 10 of 15

Hi there,

I will investigate this, just to confirm you were running the True Key desktop standalone app where the logins launchpad was opening on your desktop and not in one of the TK supported browsers correct?

Thanks,

Marc D.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community