cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nibormac
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

TrueKey replacing SafeKey - Web version missing

I understand TrueKey is replacing SafeKey and SafeKey will no longer function after February 11, 2016, however they seem to have missed an important feature of SafeKey that does not seem to exist in TrueKey.  The web version (no plugin or app required).

With McAfee SafeKey on any browser you can login to safekey.mcafee.com then enter your two-factor authentication and gain access to your online vault. This made using SafeKey truly universal. If I was using a device that I was not authorized to install a plugin or app on (ie workplace computer), I could still login to the website on any browser with my two-factor key and obtain my site passwords.  This is how I could use SafeKey essentially on ANY device without a downloaded plugin or app, my BlackBerry, my Samsung SmartTV, workplace computer or public internet kiosk.

It appears TrueKey will only function through a downloaded app or plugin. A web version is not available like it was with SafeKey. This is going to be a BIG loss of functionality for me.

Am I correct in this understanding?

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: TrueKey replacing SafeKey - Web version missing

Yes, the product is somewhat different from the old one.  You could make suggestions for improvements HERE.

Meanwhile some useful links HERE.

ottup
Contributor II
Message 3 of 5

I agree this is a serious shortcoming.  I have to use password-protected services from machines on which I cannot install client software, and a web interface is a requirement.  I'm going to put this in the "feature requests" group, but I don't really consider it a feature request.  Since True Key is being positioned as a mandatory replacement for SafeKey, which had a web interface, I consider this a bug.  I may not be able to use the product without this. 

spray
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Don't worry, this product has just started showing that it isn't ready for market.

nibormac
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

I have now stopped using SafeKey and didn't even attempt the TrueKey replacement, simply because it is not a true replacement. They added fancy features to TrueKey and missed some very basic core features that SafeKey once had. I didn't bother giving them the "feature request" because as you said it was a bug. I couldn't see how they could have a web/mobile version ready before the February 11th end of life for SafeKey. I needed to move NOW, I went with LastPass.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community