cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
micah-zoltu
Contributor III
Message 1 of 11

TrueKey Import Errors Don't Include Name

I just did a TrueKey import from LastPass.  I received a handful of errors but the error doesn't give me enough details to find the failed item and resolve it manually!  Specifically, the import failure screen does _not_ include the LastPass name field, so I have some failed imports that just show me my username (which is the same for all 300+ of my passwords).  This has left me with a pretty big problem as it means I have to go through all 300+ LastPass entries one by one, checking to see if they are present in TrueKey, in order to find the 12 that failed to import.

10 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

Re: TrueKey Import Errors Don't Include Name

I will contact someone on your behalf.

@Former Member @GaneshR @marcd

Comment please if 1 of you can assist this customer.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
GaneshR
Message 3 of 11

Hi Micah,

Please export data from True key in .csv format and compare the same with Last pass export data. 

If any data missed or not updated try to import the same To True Key and check whether all data available now in True Key.

If issue persist, Please reach our support line to serve you better on this issue

Regards

Ganesh Raju R 

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 11

Hi Micah,

Recently you reported importing failure from LastPass to True Key which as I said then it is a change that was done on their end that affected the importing flow. 

In any case, we are going to be looking how this can be fixed on our side, by adjusting to the changes done by LastPass.

Thanks,

Marc D.

micah-zoltu
Contributor III
Message 5 of 11

I suspect that there will always be some bugs/problems importing some subset of items from Last Pass (or other password managers) and they will come and go as the various password managers change file formats and whatnot.  The bigger problem here IMO is the fact that True Key doesn't surface enough information for an end-user to reasonably address the issues.  In my case, 12/300 imports failed and while this would not have been a big deal if True Key gave me all of the details it could about those 12 imports, it ended up being a huge ordeal and terrible experience because True Key ommitted some pretty critical information from the errors in the UI.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 11

Understood Micah, I guess this is a valid ask, probabl;y the reason why True Key import UI has no better explanation is due that it will have to keep up with the changes done by those pwd mgr's to reflect the same with the errors on our side, which would be more difficult to maintain in the long run.

Having said all that, I have already asked the development team to look at optimizing LastPass import page for True Key.

Marc D.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 11

Hi Micah,

When you did the import from Lastpass and 12 assets failed to import out of the 300 assets you had, I understand you did not get much info related to the asets that afiled to import but did you get at the end of the import job a successful import as the one below?

Thanks,

Marc D.

micah-zoltu
Contributor III
Message 8 of 11

The image in your comment isn't showing up (Edge), but to answer your question yes, the imort "succeeded" overall, it was just 12 items that didn't get imported.

I _believe_ the problem with the 12 items was that they didn't have URLs associated with them and TrueKey choked on importing a site with no URL.  These were basically usernames/passwords I had saved that were associated with some non-web tool (e.g., SSH key passwords).  It is possible I am mistaken on this, as I mentioned actually tracking them down was _really_ difficult and I'm not sure I actually found them all.  😕

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 11

Thanks Micah, this helps at least to narrow down why those 12 assets weren't imported correctly.

Marc D.

Simon_F
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Amen to that! ... and after 2 years it looks as if there have not been any improvements. I can't import over 300 logins - error type reporting is as good as non-existent. CSV import templates would be brilliant but obviously not for the data itself, at least we would have the column headings. I tried using a csv export from TK as a template for importing by pasting my data into it but it still couldn't migrate the stuff. This really is woeful - even Microsoft can do better than this. Just think of the business McAfee is losing when tech-savvy folk can't even get it to work. The general public doesn't stand a chance! Having said all of that when in use me, TK inserts usernames and passwords and logs you in seamlessly - in fact, it's the best I have seen. Simon_F 21st Sept 2020
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community