cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
secfiend
Contributor II
Message 1 of 7

TrueKey Feature Request

TrueKey needs a feature that allows you to store different "types" of entries.  For example, not all my usernames and passwords are for websites.  I would like to see different entry "templates".  For example, user accounts (for an application or a domain), certificates, SSH keypairs, encryption keys (public/private), etc.

6 Replies
coffeeroaster10
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: TrueKey Feature Request

The free KeePassX (KeyPass for Mac) has the same restriction. I've used TrueKey for about 18 months and KeePassX for years for all kinds of passwords needed in apps, etc, besides websites.

Specifically, in case of TrueKey, I enter a random reserved private address within the private domain in my router in the Website URL field, e.g. 192.168.1.1. If later I forgetably double-click on this password tile in TrueKey's tile view, it will open a new tab or page on my browser to e.g. the URL https://192.168.1.1. I'd usually recognize my mistake and the tab will eventually time out because my private domain does not contain a web server. If I'm at least half awake, I'd know that I'm NOT looking for a password for a website and simply click the 'Copy Password' icon in the bottom grey bar of the password tile.

A more important feature I wish TrueKey on macOS has is a Firefox extension that supports biometrics such as Face or Touch ID.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 7

Good morning,

I suspect that those login entries are different that the standard username/password combination, while it is a great suggestion to implement feature that would recognize a different login entry like for instance a third field credential (security code, etc.), it has already been added in our feature requests backlog.

As a workaround, as this would need to be manually done, you could create those entries in the "Safe Notes" section and copy and paste it from there when visiting these extra login fields credetials websites.

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

coffeeroaster10
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

I posted my response to another users (possibly) request for a feature to support saving a password for a non-URL based username/password entry, such as for a computer or smartphone app. That other user noted that he/she must supply a URL in order to save the info in the Logins group. I volunteered that my own solution was to provide a harmless bogus URL in the form of an ip address within my own private domain. By harmless I meant one that would note sent me out over the internet to a place I do not plan to visit. This 'hack' allows me to:

1. Look for all password inside the tiles pane for all my Logins, whether for a URL or an app. 

2. Allow me to pick up my username or password with a simple click on its respective link.

The Safe Notes section, while it contains a large Notes field for me to store whatever I want, requires me to highlight the username and the password and then do a copy and paste to the login screen of the app I wish to enter my login credentials. Click a link from the tile is faster and less error-prone than highlighting a username or a password, especially when my passwords uses recommended secure length and contains special characters.

So, I'm happy using my current hack, especially when the Logins group provide a Notes field for me to store any amount of unstructed secured information. I can see the Safe Notes group has its own purpose which, for me, is currently satisfied with an app like EverNote.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 7

Hi,

What you are suggesting are also features enhancements and it is a great feedback.

Not sure if getting True Key to recognize diferents URL like ip address or websites that require a 3 fields credentials in a relatively short time would be feasible.

But perhaps adding a notes field on the logins section can be easier to develop, perhaps this could be a great compromise.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

R_e_m_o
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Thanks. But the "Secure Notes" approach is too cumbersome. May I suggest you consider implementing a simple whitelist for sites, where username and password are filled, but autologin is *disabled* - so I can enter the optional fields/options, before login in manually.
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 7

Hi there,

I agree with your suggestion.

Since the auto login is really broken in two different operations: auto-fill where the credentials namely username/password are automatically filled and auto-submit where the enter to the actual login to the site is done, we could break it in those two parts where the last one could be manually disabled and the auto-fill enabled.

I will raise this to the dev team so the suggestion will be taken in consideration.

Thanks,

Marc D.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community