cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WhitneyRanch
Contributor
Message 1 of 19

True key app no longer opens after update on 8/9

My True Key app will not start up after the application appears to have been updated on 8/9.  Following other community thread recommendations I uninstalled and reinstalled and have the same symptom.  The application window launches and remains blank with the app "not responding" indefinitely.  This looks to be a bad update to me.

18 Replies
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 19

Re: True key app no longer opens after update on 8/9

Good morning,

We think that we have found the root cause of the blank screen on the True Key desktop standalone app that has affected our users recently. It is related to the Google Chrome browser, probably a recent update and we seen that other apps have been similarly affected by this.

Please update the Chrome browser or re-install it and let me know if the issue is fixed and you are able to open True Key without any issues.

If issue persists, restore the browser following these steps:

• Go to chrome browser Settings option using the drop-down menu
    • Now, scroll down the cursor and choose the Advanced button available at the bottom of this page
    • Next, click Restore settings to their original defaults option under Reset and clean up section

Thanks,

Marc D.

JJFROMVA
Contributor II
Message 3 of 19

No it is not Chome. I'm having the same problem with 2 of my PC's and 3 different browsers. PLEASE FIX.
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 19

Just a quick question, did you try to re-install or reset the Chrome browser nonetheless?

Thanks,

Marc D.

JJFROMVA
Contributor II
Message 5 of 19

I'm talking about the desktop app. I seen that one user said that he had uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. I didn't try it myself because some people on the board said it didn't work. I am at work, but once I get home I will try to uninstall and install it again, and let you know if it works.
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 19

Let me explain better, regardless that you use the True Key desktop app you are still using Chrome or Firefox (same framework) in the background so yes an issue with a recent Chrome update or corrupted browser cache will impact our desktop app as it has for other application as I mentioned before.

So, as I pointed out in the fix steps earlier, resetting or re-installing the Chrome browser should fix this issue. The issue is not related to our code, that is why reinstalling would have not fix this issue as we have seen and you pointed out from the experience of other users.

Thanks,

Marc D.

markm2359
Contributor II
Message 7 of 19

I just re installed and restored chrome and it doesn't work. I can't get into any of my passwords I trusted with McAfee for days now. I'm not very happy

WhitneyRanch
Contributor
Message 8 of 19

I reset the Chrome browser as the fix suggests and the desktop app still hangs on opening.  I then tried to use the browser extension instead and found a problem there so now I am completely without True Key.  The browser extension now asks me to "verify" when I try to log in and the screen times out in about a minute while my verification email through my ISP takes about a minute and a half.  Repeated attempts to verify have yielded even slower email and the screen times out WAY TOO FAST!!! I don't have an alternate device to use for verification so the email option has left me dead in the water.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 19

I understand, I see that errors might be different for some of our users but still the desktop app is not accessible.

I will look into this with the team and will provide hopefully more about this tomorrow.

Thanks,

Marc D.

AJRod
Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Hey Marc,

I tried re-setting Chrome, re-installing the extension, and Chrome itself, the uninstalled it, and disable McAfee antivirus, no success in any way. On one computer I get the "Something went wrong" error after entering my login information, and on the other computer it prompts me to open the link in the email to trus the new device, but the email link takes me directly to https://www.truekey.com/en/two-factor/failure
I believe given all the evidence noted, this is on True Key side of things, please escalate as this is now critical.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community