cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CactusJack
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

True key - What EXACTLY are the columns for CSV import

Realizing a CSV file (comma separated value) is nothing more than a text file that has data separated by commas... EVERY real CSV import has a header line that describes each column, separated by columns such as:

Username,Password,Title,Login URL,Notes

It is apparent that whomever wrote True key that they have no clue on how to import data. A CSV is one of the oldest ways that I know of (after programming for 46 years) and the simplest ways to import. 

After numerous attempts playing with different import icons I have come to the conclusion that I am wasting my time so I will ask a few simple questions:

What EXACTLY are the column names that True Key is looking for? Do they need to be UPPER case? lower case? Maybe Proper Case? Do they need to be in any specific order? Does the data need to be wrapped in double quotes?

Even better yet ... how about a dang TEMPLATE.

Come on people, this isn't difficult. Judging from the responses from True Key that I have seen I/We may be wasting my/our time. 

Thanks

CJ

3 Replies
GaneshR
Message 2 of 4

Re: True key - What EXACTLY are the columns for CSV import

Hi @CactusJack 

Greetings from McAfee

We understand your concern but True key can import password from existing password mangers[LastPass, Dashlane] and not possible by importing through any kind of file types.

We  can export data from TrueKey as a .csv file but importing possible only through password mangers. For more understanding on true key export. Please click here

Added a screenshot below

Regards

Ganesh Raju R

TK Passwords.JPG

Felipe87
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

@GaneshR,
True Key does not actually import directly from other password managers - it requires us to export the password data from other password managers into a .csv file and then import that .csv file into True Key. As @CactusJack said, McAfee True Key seems to have a lot of trouble importing the .csv file data correctly. I tried importing a .csv file that I exported from Dashlane, but True Key would not recognize any of the information. After looking at many other threads on this forum, I came across one that suggested importing the file using the True Key --> True Key button instead of Dashlane --> True Key and the .csv file was finally recognized, but none of the usernames migrated into True Key. Now I am having to manually input the username data into each website entry.

I am tempted to try to modify the .csv file to try to help True Key recognize the username column and try the import again, but, as @CactusJack said, it's hard to know that it will work since we are not given any kind of import .csv file template and I'm worried that trying a second import will cause a lot of duplicate entries.

If you can provide any guidance that would be great. But honestly I am not hopeful after reading all of the threads on this issue in the forum.
Felipe87
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

UPDATE: so I ended up exporting a .csv file from True Key and looking at the column headers, changing the column headers on my .csv export file from Dashlane to match those from the True Key .csv file, then imported again using the True Key --> True Key button, and the results were much better. Unfortunately, it did result in duplicate entries, but it's much easier to go through and delete the duplicate entries from the first migration (with the incomplete username daata) than to manually add the username data to each entry.

FYI - "username" column should be titled "login", "title" column should be "name", "password" is still "password", "url" is still "url", and "note" can be left as "note". Make sure to leave everything lower case to be safe.

Hope this helps someone!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community