cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bamarcus
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

True Key uses Internet Explorer

I found an issue that was previously discussed and closed marked assumed resolved.

When I use TK to log into sites it always opens Internet Explorer and not the default browser.

Spec: Windows 10, New Lenovo Yoga 720. Purchased McAfee + TrueKey 1 year subscription and upgraded.

1. I've tried setting the default web browser.
  2. I've reinstalled TK once.
  3. I have rotated the default browser to Edge, Chrome, and Firefox but for each attempt, TK still opens sites in IE.

Dose anyone have any suggestions?

11 Replies
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 12

Re: True Key uses Internet Explorer

We are aware of this issue and our development team is working on a fix. Regarding when would this fix be available, it is hard to say at this point.

Thanks,

Marc D.

ssmolkin
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Has this problem every been resolved? If so, is there something I need to do on my end?

As of 10/1/18, when I click on the True Key icon in Firefox (my default browser), and then click a web site on the True Key dashboard, the web site launches in Internet Explorer, instead of Firefox.

I'm using the latest version of Windows 10 and Firefox.  I think I am using the latest version of the Firefox True Key add-on.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 12

Hello there,

The first thing you shold do is to disable the Internet Explorer (IE) True Key extension from the True Key settings- App Settings or directly from the IE browser removing the True Key extension. Once this is done, please install the True Key Firefox extension and again this can be done either from the True Key settings- app Settings or directly from the Firefox browser installing the True Key extension.

Once this is done and the IE True Key extension has been completely removed, the True Key extension should open up the app on your Firefox browser.

Let me know if the issue still persists.

Thanks,

Marc D.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

ssmolkin
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

I disabled the True Key extension in Internet Explorer and it now no longer has a check mark.  But, the Firefox extension was saying "Reinstall."  So, I uninstalled the True Key extension in Firefox, then downloaded and reinstalled the True Key application and the Firefox extension.

In True Key settings/app/extensions, the Firefox extension still says "reinstall extension."  I have reinstalled twice and it is still showing "reinstall extension."  Disabling and re-enable in the Firefox add-ons listing has no effect.

Strangely, True Key IS working within Firefox.  It I manually enter a URL for a web site requiring a logon, True Key recognizes this and autofills the user name and password.

THE PROBLEM:  In the True Key dashboard, clicking on a web site icon no longer launches the web site.  Nothing happens.  Before, it would launch in Internet Explorer.  Now it will not launch at all.

This may relate to the fact that I repeatedly (and still) get the reinstall extension message.  But, reinstalling does not seem to work.

Suggestions please?  Thank you.

ssmolkin
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Update:  As an experiment, I reinstalled the True Key extension for Internet Explorer.  Now, if I click on a web site icon in the True Key dashbord, the web site DOES launch (in Internet Explorer).

So, the remaining problem is that True Key is not playing well with Firefox.  It will not launch web sites from its dashboard in Firefox when the True Key extension for Firefox is installed - despite several True Key uninstalls and reinstalls (latest version of True Key; latest versions of Firefox and Windows 10).

Very frustrating indeed.  Thanks for any further suggestions.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 12

Good morning,

In your True Key app settings, in the App settings- unable browser extensions, if there you are seeing still reinstall Firefox, it is telling you to reinstall the True Key Firefox extension which is the one that will automatically log you in on your stored sites.

Make sure that thisd is installed, it will take you once you click there to your Firefox browser to complete the TK extension installation. 

Thanks,

Marc D.

ssmolkin
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Hello Marc,

An update for you.  I reinstalled True Key yet one more time.  I can now launch a web site from the TK dashboard, and it launches in Firefox.  So, my two problems (launching in FF, not IE, and being able to launch from the TK dashboard) are solved.

Here is what I thought you might be interested to know:

1.  In Settings/App/Enable Browser extensions, Firefox  still says Reinstall Browser. 

2.  If I click on Reinstall Exension for Firefox, it does NOT take me to FF to finish the TK extension.  Instead, clicking on reinstall Browser simply takes me back to the True Key Settings/App page (i. e., the preceding page).

Thanks -

Stuart

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 12

Hi Stuart,

Glad that is working now but your comments you added are most likely as a result that the IE extension is still not mapped to your default browser (Firefox).

Issue should be completely corrected after disabling the True Key extension from the Internet Explorer browser, after that in the Firefox browser add the True Key extension, issue should be fixed after that.

I could successfully launch the saved logins from native app after a fresh install using Firefox. The steps are

• Launch the app
  • Login using credentials
  • Skip the step of adding extension for IE , chrome and only add for Firefox
  • Launch a saved login
  • It opens in Firefox

Please note after adding an extension it will say in the app settings to re-install extension. No need to click that unless you want to literally re-install the extension.

Thanks,

ssmolkin
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Marc,

I'm trying to follow your most recent suggestions (thank you!).

There's something bizarre going on:

• Yesterday, I swear that, if I clicked on a TK dashboard icon, the web site launched in FF (I remember verifying this).  Tonight, however, when I click on a TK dashboard icon, it launches in IE again, despite my not making any changes.
  • So... with a web site now open in IE (which I also verified)... I went to the IE taskbar and clicked on TK to open it.  When I went to settings/app/browser extensions, IE had a check mark by it... even though I had disabled it several nights ago.
  • I tried to disable it again by clicking on the check mark.  Nothing happened; no option to disable.  In desperation I tried clicking on Internet Explorer.  Again, I could not disable.
  • When I click on the True Key icon in my Windows taskbar, it's the same... clicking on the check mark for IE and nothing happens, no ability to disable.
  • Since I cannot disable the TK IE extension, I tried to uninstall IE completely.  But, IE does not even show up as an application in my Windows Start Menu.  And, if I go into Windows/Settings/Apps, to try and uninstall IE, it does not show up in the App list.  Yet, IE is definitely installed in the Program Files folder and I can launch it from there.  I just cannot find any way to uninstall.
  • So, I tried renaming the IE folder to try to hide it.  I then went back into Firefox and reinstalled TK.
  • The TK IE extension is still checked off (despite hiding the IE folder), and I still cannot disable it. 
  • Lastly, I unhid the IE folder (renamed it back to what it should be).  If I click on a T K dashboard web site icon, it launches in IE.  So, another 45 minutes and I'm right back to where I started.

I really appreciate everything you're doing, as well as  your patience.  I think the only way to work through this is for me to make a phone call to tech support, rather than continuing to trade emails.  I've been using computers since 1965, and can't believe that something that should be simple should become this difficult and suck up this much time.  That said, thank you again very much for trying so hard.

Cheers -

Stuart

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community