cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BeerHowler
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

True Key refuses to install

Hello, first post having searched here and not finding the answer.

Running Windows 10 latest version/update with McAfee via my BT (British Telecom) account (meaning my McAfee is branded 'McAfee BT Virus Protect' including a BT logo)

I have been consider a password manager that auto-fills my passwords.

I'm currently using Opensource 'KeePass' but have also considered 'Sticky Password' which is on offer right now.

Then during a full laptop scan using McAfee I see that 'True Key' is included in my BT McAfee security package. 

Great.

So I follow the instructions, download the True Key installer, get the usual WIndows "Install Anyway" request, then "Make Changes To This Computer" both of which I OK, then .............Nothing.

Nothing installs at all.

I re-download the True Key installer, re-boot the Laptop, try again......Nothing installs.

I then re-boot again, this time right-click the True Key installer icon and select Install as Administrator........Nothing installs.

I am using the latest Firefor browser, the McAfee website window that opens when selecting the Ture Key icon from within the McAfee app actually invites me via a big red button to "Add To Firefox" so I can't imagine this is incompatible with Firefox browser??

Any ideas of should I begrudginly pay Ashampoo £16.99 for their reduced price for 'Sticky Password' when I should be able to enjoy this bundled password manager for free??

Thanks for any help that may be available.

Labels (1)
6 Replies
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 7

Re: True Key refuses to install

Good morning,

Can you provide some screenshots of your actual insrtallation, if Firefox wanted you to add True Key via the McAfee website, it was completing the install and wanting you to install the True Key extension that should be on the top right as a blue icon, can you check if you see this icon there?

Also do you have True Key installed when you check on your installed programs?  I need to  validate with you how far in the installation process you are.

Thanks,

Marc D..

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

BeerHowler
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Hello Marc D, thanks for your response.

I have again just tried to freshly install True Key with a new download, still no success.

I attach images but they do not really tell you anything helpful.

I get the blue screen "Do You Want This Program To Make Changes etc etc" which I click 'Yes'

Then absolutely nothing happens, no install whatsoever.

I have included an image to show that it has not installed into the Firefox extensions as there is no blue icon visible top right of the Firefox window.

Total mystery, it's like the program installer is disabled in some way.

Note I close all programs including Firefox browser to attempt the True Key install.

Image 2 website setup with Firefox Add buttonImage 2 website setup with Firefox Add buttonImage 4 top right of Firefox showing no icon after attempted installImage 4 top right of Firefox showing no icon after attempted installImage 3 First Install requestImage 3 First Install requestImage 1Image 1

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 7

Hi again,

As you said, these screenshots unfortunately dont really provide much information. It really looks like either a corrupted installation or something that is blocking the complete install.

Let me ask you a quick question, as a BT customer, can you install True Key within the BT portal and as  such can their support team walk you though this process to make sure this corrupted attempt to install True Key gets clerared off?

If this is not an option for you, you can check the install process of True Key within your system but this would be outside of BT, not really sure if this can be achieved. To do this, you would have to check the install programs on your system list and confrimed you are not seeing True Key there, that are no True Key traces anywhere on your system files.

Once this is confirmed, if TK install cannot be launched from your McAfee bundled software, you can try doing it from outside your McAfee account, by going with either your Firefox or Chrome browser to www.truekey.com and download it there. If you try this last suggestion, you can try downloading it with Chrome if it is failling with Firefox.

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

BeerHowler
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Having just spent a while modifying my image to share and not spread my email globally, this reply removes the option to add an image !!!!

So no image attached I'm afraid............

Hi Marc D,

Whilst I totally appreciate you trying to assist here this is actually taking way too long to implement.

OK so using Firefox - It clearly does not work, no way can I appear to install the extensions required.

Having checked my download folder having attempted to install TK on to Firefox what it has done is plant a .dll extension in my download folder (!?!?!)

So I close Firefox and open Google Chrome, there things are much more organised, I go to the TK website you advise and install the extension onto Chrome, then it seems I need to create a True Key Profile.

I type my name, email address and Master Password (the site describes that as "Very Strong").

I go to 'Agree Next' button and it's greyed out, no way forward, nada.

This really has to be the most frustrating, under informed installation process I have experienced over many years of using PC's.

Could it be I am creating a profile that does not match my BT McAfee account name and password?

Could it be that I have a downloaded version of TK, plus the random .dll file still lingering in my download folder?

Could it be that TK installer doesn't like Sundays and Mondays?

This does not work, I see a number of other forum posts dating back several years asking similar questions on the McAfee forum and else where.

Honestly? I GIVE UP.

Thanks for your input, it must be frustrating supporting apps that behave as BETA versions.

BeerHowler
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Update.

Having shortened my "Very Strong" password (to make it weaker no doubt) I finally get the option to create my profile.

Close this for now, although I am not overly impressed with the installation experience.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 7

Awesome, I am glad this is resolved and you were able to install True Key.

I will also share your feedback with my engineering team in order to improve the installation process.

Thanks,

Marc D

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community