cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Al00005
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

True Key outage

I am usually one of the last people to complain as I pride myself on practicing a lot of patience. This is a now a mess though. Like others have stated, some type of communication would have been helpful. I am not sure it would have been the most practical. That said, a lot end users tend to fix things ourselves so a simple uninstall and reinstall is one of the first troubleshooting steps... However, DO NOT UNINSTALL True Key. That will negate any possibility of retrieving passwords from offline mode. You might be able to sign in after uninstalling (Chrome extension, phone app), but your Vault will no longer be cached on the device, and you will see a blank slate. 

This outage has gone on for days now. I am extremely disappointed and worried too. I work in IT Security, and coincidently I manage a corporate privileged password management system in a large environment. Having the outage for this long, has me concerned about some type of breech. I have taken the approach to reset all my passwords, and I have moved to a new service. If there has been a breech, then the damage is done and resetting every password will only mitigate the danger for everyone. I am happy that I did not store any social security numbers in this system.

Resetting my passwords without knowing a current password has been very painful, especially in some situations. For example, some banks want a lot of information before they will initiate a password reset. I have about 400 credentials stored in True Key and have started manually resetting the most important ones first. 

I have used True Key for years and have even bragged to others about the product. However, I don't know if this product will survive this type of negative PR.... To top it all off, there was no communication sent to the users. Which is odd because I have read that this is a maintenance outage. And although I completely understand that maintenance can sometimes go sideways (been there), maintenance windows are typically only for a few hours.

Unexpected outages tend to happen from poor testing, and/or carelessness... It pains me to say that I am hoping this issue is due to either poor testing or carelessness... Because the alternative of True Key getting compromised is much uglier for the people who use this product. Either way, it is not a good look, and I have lost all trust and faith in the product. I have a feeling a lot of users will be jumping ship. It stinks, because even though True Key was a little quirky at times, I really liked this product.

To be honest, it almost seems like McAfee doesn't really care about this True Key. It was purchased from another company, so it is not the pride of McAfee. That should have been a red flag to me... I own that mistake and will learn from it moving forward. I am not going to promote or advertise other products, but I think this is possibly the beginning of the end, for what was once a very solid product.

1 Reply
karthikeyan_J
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 2

Re: True Key outage

Hi  @Al00005

Thank you for your feedback! We are truly sorry to hear about your disappointment.

McAfee is aware of this issue and our Engg team is currently investigating on the root cause. Your information is secure and unfortunately we do not have an ETA as of now. But we will keep you informed as soon as we receive an update on the resolution.

In the meantime, please follow our KB article TS102522. to check if the issue is resolved.

Thanks,
Karthikeyan J

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community