cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SecureFox
Contributor II
Message 1 of 16

True Key not syncing to any other browsers

Last week, I added a new login to True Key plus a safe note. It has never replicated to other machines or even other browsers on the same machine.

Steps: Added login + safe note to Firefox on desktop PC. Looking several days later on Chrome or Edge on same machine - they are not there. Looked on Android phone and also on laptop pcs: still not there. Now I am also sometimes seeing 'syncing error' but there's no indication how to do anything about it.

Now last night, I can't even re-add True Key to Firefox on the laptop machine:
Re-add the extension to FF;
Bingo! - get returned to the login screen for True Key on the laptop.

Seems like there have been many more problems since going to 'browser only' this year!

15 Replies
eranf100
Contributor II
Message 2 of 16

Re: True Key not syncing to any other browsers

Hi
I have the same problem.
Found out that the problem occurs when connected to internet throw my internet provider. If I connect the computers to the internet throw my cellular phone (4G) than it connects as before ... Very strage, hope mcafee will fix it soon
karthikeyan_J
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 16

Hi @SecureFox  & @eranf100 

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience.

Please check for any browser updates and update it to the latest version. Once done check if you are still facing the issue.

Also, let us know your Browser version, True Key extension version along with the Operating System to help further.

Thanks,
Karthikeyan J

SecureFox
Contributor II
Message 4 of 16

Hi

Thanks, yesterday, I updated the logins on Chrome on the desktop PC by exporting from Firefox and importing to Chrome. That worked although it should not be necessary. I had a look at MS Edge this morning, it is up to date, the true key extension is version 4.3.0.9324 and it's on Windows 10. The extension on Edge is not up to date although there are no 'failed to sync' messages

Thanks

Bill

Gapster
Contributor III
Message 5 of 16

I just noticed today that I'm getting sync errors on all browsers installed on my desktop (main mcaffee truekey input device). Every browser has a different number of stored logins. I'm running the following:

Desktop O/S: Pop!_OS 20.10 <-- this is an Ubuntu Derivative Distro

Browsers on this computer (in order of used most):

1. Brave Version 1.22.71 Chromium: 89.0.4389.114 (Official Build) (64-bit). This is my main browser (99%) been using this for awhile now. Stored logins = 220
  2. Chrome Version 89.0.4389.90 (Official Build) (64-bit). Barely ever use. Last time used January? Stored logins = 221
  3. Firefox Version 87.0 (64-bit). Barley use. Last time used Last year sometime? Stored logins = 203

Background: The reason I noticed the sync error .... I wanted to use TrueKey on my iPhone 12pro (iOS 14.4.2). A login I just added via my desktop was not in my iphone. So I started checking number of logins. My iphone truekey had 214 logins. I have two trusted devices used for login: my iphone and Samsung Tablet (SM-T720). I usually use my iphone as my main trusted device. 

Troubleshooting: I reinstalled  truekey on the iphone and now anytime I login it closes. It allows me to login and wait for my approval from the tablet. After allowing from tablet, the app closes on my iphone, thus making the app useless on my iphone.  This is a major problem for me.

Side notes:

• My tablet has 212 logins.
  • I consider my Brave browser to be the most up-to-date, so I exported it and stored it in a safe and secure place.
  • When logging into my browsers, they all think my iphone and table are trusted devices.

So I have two problems:

1. Sync Issues on all devices ... BTW - all devices are up-to-date including all related apps.
  2. My inability to log into and use truekey on my iphone. I believe this is related to the sync issues.

Until this is fixed is there a way for me to clear the truekey app cache on my iphone and import a truekey export?

Thanks!

eranf100
Contributor II
Message 6 of 16

Hi
Try something that worked for me - connect the computers to a different internet connection (even cellular from your phone with "wifi hotspot") and see if it works (only to "isulate" the problem) - if it does work so the problem was as I had and the solution is disconnecting and than connecting again your modem and router
Eran
SecureFox
Contributor II
Message 7 of 16

Thanks, I will give this a try, I have a 4G box I can use. Yesterday, I did a clean install iof Windows 10 on an old laptop, tried installing Truekey on MS Edge and - nothing. Every time I try to login, it sends a prompt to my smart phone, I ok that and it just returns me to the loging screen. This is getting very frustrating now...

SecureFox
Contributor II
Message 8 of 16

OK, I tried that - connected the reloaded laptop via 4G but it didn't make any difference: log in to True Key - 'swipe to confirm it's you' on second device, and it returns me to the login screen. Tried clearing cookies and other browsing cache date - no difference. Repeated the whole process with Google Chrome - no difference. So that's one laptop that is unusable with True Key now, and one that's only half working because it won't sync, and I can't log in with Firefox, only Edge and Chrome. Can't even see any logs that you could look at to see what's going on (I worked in Tech Support for 30 years).

That will be my subscription cancelled this year: looks like I will be looking for a new password manager after using True Key successfully for about 4 years 😞

karthikeyan_J
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 16

Hi @SecureFox 

I have sent you a private message requesting for some details. Please do respond to help you further.

DesertRogue
Contributor
Message 10 of 16

I have the exact same issue! 

I have removed the extentions on all browsers, rebooted, changed ISP's etc

I am out of sync with all my other devices. 
I now get "Sync errors" popping up. 

Now I can't get logged back in. I get prompted for MFA then back to the login screen.

Contacted McAfee tech support - however as my premium license is provided by my ISP they told me to speak to my ISP...who is just as unhelpful......

Time to find a new password manager I think

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community