Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff2042
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

True Key browser extension stopped working with Brave Browser

Jump to solution

I've been using True Key with Brave browser for years (1st PC stand alone and then browser extension since 2021).  As of 03-08-21, True Key stopped working with Brave.  I can open True Key in a new tab and log in manually.  When I go to a site that uses True Key, nothing happens.  No blue star in the log in boxes, no logging in.  I switched to Firefox and sometimes True Key works, and sometimes it doesn't.  Windows 10 PC. True Key version 4.3.0.9324

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Madhan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 6

Re: True Key browser extension stopped working with Brave Browser

Jump to solution

Hello @Jeff2042 

TrueKey is not compatible on Brave browser. It is compatible on Chrome, Firefox and Edge. For more info, please visit TrueKey website

Regarding TrueKey that doesn't work on Firefox, are there any specific sites that doesn't work properly?. Try removing the extension and re-adding it to Firefox. Let us know the outcome..

Regards,
Madhan M

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Madhan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Hello @Jeff2042 

TrueKey is not compatible on Brave browser. It is compatible on Chrome, Firefox and Edge. For more info, please visit TrueKey website

Regarding TrueKey that doesn't work on Firefox, are there any specific sites that doesn't work properly?. Try removing the extension and re-adding it to Firefox. Let us know the outcome..

Regards,
Madhan M

Jeff2042
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Modhan,

Thanks so much for the rapid response.

Vindy
Contributor II
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution
It stopped working for me in Chrome, a couple of weeks ago.
I guessed an update to Chrome broke it.
I have tried it on three PCs so far, same on each.
The blue icon doesn't show on password dialogue boxes, but I can click on the TrueKey extensions icon in Chrome and I'm logged in and can manually view, and copy and paste passwords.

Chrome is still set to use TrueKey for password management, nothing has changed, it simply stopped working on my machines a couple of weeks ago. All Win 10.
I have an M1 Mac here with Chrome, I shall try it on that, later.
I've tried disabling TrueKey and reenabling, I've tried disabling the Chrome setting to allow TrueKey to manage passwords, and reenable it. Same thing.
It's running, I'm signed in, but it never offers passwords for sites, nor does it offer to generate passwords for new signups (such as for this very forum) and the blue icon in the password boxes no longer appears, on at least three separate systems.
Chrome Version 89.0.4389.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Madhan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

Hello @Vindy 

We are so sorry for the inconvenience caused. Please reset clear cache and cookies from Chrome, remove TrueKey extension and re- add it back to Chrome. Update us on the outcome.

Did you try on your MAC?

Regards,
Madhan m

Vindy
Contributor II
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi there,

Rather than spread across two threads, I'd just like to point out that I answered this, and listed everything else I've tried, in my own thread.

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/True-Key/TrueKey-stopped-working-in-Chrome-on-all-my-PCs-and-Mac/m-p...

To be short, yes I tried the Mac, yes I've removed the extension and reinstalled it, I regularly clear cookies (one of the reasons I use TrueKey - to sign back into sites) and I just manually cleared them again.

Nothing makes a difference.  For 2-3 weeks now my TrueKey has stopped working, until I right click on its extension icon, manage extensions, toggle allow in incognito mode... either on and off, and back on, or vice versa, and then it works.

To sign into this forum I just did the same.  I noticed that when I flick the allow in incognito mode switch that TrueKey temporarily disconnects/goes offline, and then reconnects.  I wonder if this is what causes it to start working.  It will now continue working until I close Chrome and open it again later.

Again, probably better to move this discussion to my new thread, where I've already detailed steps that I've tried.

Hoping you can help me get it working, or, get me in touch with a support agent who can.

I am running the premium version of TrueKey.

Thanks.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community