Did you mean: 
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 11 of 42

Re: True Key app for Windows Edge

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I have a few questions that will certainly help to find what is going on here. First of all, would you be able to provide the version of True Key you were running as well as the Windows operating system version.

Also, I am not clear when you say it works on IE and Chrome but not on the desktop, can you please let me know what works on these browsers?

Finally, uninstalling the desktop application is probably the wrong thing since it unable me to look into this further via the app logs, uninstalling the app wipes in effect all these logs. I can suggest a quicker and safer way and that is installing it from our website: www.truekey.com, you can do this now but as well in the future is best to do it this way.

Please let me know if I can help further,

Marc D

jrc99
Contributor III
Message 12 of 42

Jump to solution

This a screen shot of the new settings.

Capture 280217.JPG

After a restart True key is holding  at the moment with out having to sign in . The Edge settings were the default settings set up by Microsoft.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 13 of 42

Jump to solution

Absolutely, it is  a Microsoft setting but as I said it is something you can control, if you put this option above to "off" it would not clear the trust relationship set by True Key within Edge.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Marc D

lblack61
Former Member
Message 14 of 42

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for your reading my reply. I'm hoping that the detail I provide will help McAfee/Intel find a solution, because I suspect I'm NOT [edited] the only one experiencing this.

[You said] "Also, I am not clear when you say it works on IE and Chrome but not on the desktop, can you please let me know what works on these browsers?"

No. I said that the TrueKey app for Microsoft Edge works in Microsoft Edge.  (It seems the Microsoft Edge app version is a browser app only, not for the entire PC).

How True Key functions (at least for me):

The True Key desktop program (which I have been using for at least a year, probably longer) has to be installed on your PC in order for it to be used in IE and Chrome. Both IE and Chrome require an additional "add-on"/ "extension" AFTER installing True Key on the desktop PC in order for you to use True Key in IE and Chrome. The "add-on" (IE) and "extension" (Chrome) will not work unless the desktop program is installed on the computer.

[You said] "Finally, uninstalling the desktop application is probably the wrong thing since it unable me to look into this further via the app logs, uninstalling the app wipes in effect all these logs"

Uninstalling was the only way I could deal with the darn thing after so much effort trying to resolve the issue. Right now, I don't have the guts to re-install it yet again. I'm using the Microsoft Edge True Key app and Windows Defender for now, until I have the time, energy, and presence of mind to deal with McAfee TP and the TK desktop app.

The main issue is that the password is not recognized in the desktop program; the desktop program is where I CREATED the password when I first installed the True Key application a year or more ago. The Microsoft Edge app of True Key accepts that password, yet the desktop application (where that password was created), does not. This is the crux of the problem. If someone can figure out where the conflict lies in that, perhaps a solution can be found. But it is important to note that the way True Key functions in Microsoft Edge is decidedly different than how it functions in Chrome and IE on a desktop PC or laptop.

jrc99
Contributor III
Message 15 of 42

Jump to solution

All the calls and remote access sessions with Tech Master Tier 1 and Tier  2 tech's and all it took was a posting on this forum and we had a simple answer. True key is now staying logged in.

Thank you marcd.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 16 of 42

Jump to solution

My pleasure!!!

Marc D

lblack61
Former Member
Message 17 of 42

Jump to solution

The button has always been on "off" in that setting for Microsoft Edge.

Maybe I need to turn it on? Or on and off again? lol.

lblack61
Former Member
Message 18 of 42

Jump to solution

Okay. I got brave and I re-installed McAfee TP and the True Key desktop application.

They both installed fine.

When I went to the True Key launchpad and signed in, it tells me "Something went wrong". So THEN, I go to Microsoft Edge. and, as when I first began having the problem last Friday or so, I am still logged onto True Key.

So the problem still exists, I'm sorry to say; nothing has changed.

True Key WILL NOT WORK in IE or Chrome on a desktop or laptop unless I the user is logged onto the desktop launchpad--at least that is my experience. (And I do not use Edge much--can't stand Edge, actually; I use Chrome. Which means if I am going to maintain that practice, I need to be able to log onto the True Key desktop launchpad)

Please advise.

lblack61
Former Member
Message 19 of 42

Jump to solution

Okay. This problem is RESOLVED!!! Yayyyyyyyy!

What was never, never, NEVER, EVER said to me was that you now no longer have to use the desktop interface of True Key, but a new, in browser interface has been established for all browsers.

What I needed was to be informed of that and to be given the link for the in-browser app for Chrome for the Web.

I have seen no notification of this change anywhere, which is rather annoying. I've been struggling for days over this when I should be working.

Yes, I'm annoyed. But I'm happy this is resolved now.

Intel-McAfee needs to get a wee bit better at informing customers of a change as fundamental as this.

jrc99
Contributor III
Message 20 of 42

Jump to solution

Well after a few weeks of smooth running I now have a new problem after Microsoft updates were installed yesterday.

True key is running and the blue * appears in the user name and password boxes but it just sits there with no input. I have to manually input the details  which defeats the object.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community