cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crecord2
Former Member
Message 1 of 19

True Key Slows Internet Explorer to a Crawl

Has anyone else had this experience with True Key.  It has made Internet Explorer almost unusable.  Like the auto login, but not waiting 30-45 seconds for every page to load.  I turn off True Key and the lag immediately goes away.  Any suggestions?

18 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 19

Re: True Key Slows Internet Explorer to a Crawl

I don't think any of the Moderators use it to check, but at the moment I find web pages slow loading, but that I blame my ISP for.

You may wish to contact Technical Support on this matter as it could be a bad Intel server is causing communication delays.

Contact Support

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 19

Hi

Am using TrueKey on IE and Chrome (Windows 7) and haven't experienced any issues with pages loaded. They are instant as am on a corporate Network. Could you switch connection to Wired or vice-versa and see if that helps. Also post back the version of TrueKey installed (See image below)

TK Version.png

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 19

Thanks Selvan 😉

crecord2
Former Member
Message 5 of 19

Well it looks like you're lucky.  Just got off chat with McAfee.  Uninstalled and reinstalled True Key.  They admitted its a pretty bloated software because of all the background features (that I don't need like facial recognition log-in.  I don't have them activated, but it must still have an affect).  I liked the stripped down SafeKey better. Other than the previous annoying "please install the latest version yellow bar", it was fine. Anyway, I have found a solution for myself.  I turn off the toolbar for True Key and the browser screams (3 day old fresh install of Windows 10 on an SSD).  If I want to use it, I'll turn on the toolbar.  With it on, its like trying to pull and 18 wheeler with a Volkswagon bug.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 19

Re: Re: True Key Slows Internet Explorer to a Crawl

That is odd. Please post the Service Request number here to see what happened exactly.

crecord2
Former Member
Message 7 of 19

While I have a service request number, we did get disconnected in the middle.  To remove True Key all browsers had to be closed - that includes the chat window I was in.

I went ahead and removed and reinstalled True Key and played around with it.  I will say, even when ZI turn on the True Key toolbar, it still doesn't work like Safekey did.  It's not actually logging me in.  I'm going to seek out a different program to handle this for my computer.

Service Request: Service Request #: 1924816079  Note, the email I received after the disconnect says it was from Intel Security vs. McAfee

crecord2
Former Member
Message 8 of 19

Been doing some reading online.  True Key is a disaster and killing the speed of computers everywhere.  As I said, I uninstalled and problem went away.  Everything I have read about this program says stay away.  Very, very far away.  Looking for a new password manager now.  Too bad McAfee replaced something that was working just fine (albeit the annoying yellow banner to upgrade) with something that is unusable.  So now, I have no password manager!

nibormac
Former Member
Message 9 of 19

Yep, been spending the better part of today transferring my sites over from SafeKey to a competing product for a very good price. Found some very cool features such as Identities, offline USB, and web and mobile site access. That web and mobile site was critical for me to use a password manager on an unsupported device (BlackBerry, Samsung SmartTV) or for devices you may be unauthorized to install a plugin or app on, like a workplace computer or public internet kiosk. It' a slow process, need to ensure the sites are entered correctly and testing each one. Don't care TrueKey is part of the McAfee LiveSafe subscription, it's just not usable, I think they've spent too much time developing all the new features and overlooked the basics.

crecord2
Former Member
Message 10 of 19

Curious what product you chose.  I'm about to go with something new. Your comment about spending the better part of a day transferring sites sounds pretty tedious and may be a product that is again more than I need.  Didn't your new program just import the data?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community