Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GSperry
Contributor II
Message 1 of 16

True Key Export Issue

Jump to solution

I am trying to export my set of credentials from True Key and I am having some issues.

As near as I can tell there are two possible exports:

1. From the TK extension on Chrome – I go to settings, app settings, export and enter my master password  but when I submit - the file export doesn’t appear to do anything.  No file is created and no error is displayed.  The Help '?' displays copy about creating a .csv file.  I found an old reference on Google search to popups being suppressed but that isn't setting on my Chrome.
  2. If I Start TK from the Windows (10) app and it will create a .JSON file.  I have tried to import that file into MS Excel to verify the information but the detail data isn't parsed correctly (just shows the outer headers without the accompanying credential detail).  Opening it with a Text editor shows that the data is there but I would have to spend a lot of time manually reformatting all of the data. (Note:  I am not a JSON file expert so this could be my inexperience).

I really just want a backup of my file - not fussy about the file type as long I can get the data.  

Any insights would be really appreciated.

Greg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GSperry
Contributor II
Message 14 of 16

Re: True Key Export Issue

Jump to solution

Hi Marc -

Around March 18th I used the Chrome Extension for TrueKey to try and export since you had said your team was looking into it and for the first time it prompted me for a file location and worked like the Windows App after it had been changed to create a CSV formatted file instead of a JSON format.  Both the app and the extension are now performing the same for exporting a comma delimited credentials file (even the issue where the export file is created without a .csv file is the same in both).

I did not change any Chrome settings or download a new version of the extension - I assumed your team had changed/standardized code that the extension called to make it work.

I appreciate your help resolving the issue so that I can keep an off-site copy of my credentials.

Greg

View solution in original post

15 Replies
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 16

Jump to solution

Hi Greg,

So you are running both modes, extension first on your True Key Chrome extension and the native desktop app, correct?

Also would you be able to provide the True Key Chrome extension version and the desktop app version.

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

GSperry
Contributor II
Message 3 of 16

Jump to solution

Marc -

I do have both modes installed but really only use the chrome extension (not running concurrently). 

The Windows app is version: 5.2.167.1.  The chrome extension says version 3.1.9219 (matches what is in the google play store). 

I did uninstall/reinstall both the extension and the Win10 app and tested prior to sending the first message.

Greg

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 16

Jump to solution

Hi Greg,

At this point I am not suspecting the client, I have received a recent reprot of the same behaviour and also you can reproduce it in both the desktop app and on the extension first.

I believe the issue is related to the tool itself after a recent version update.

Let me look into this with my team and will be providing to you any news I came accross.

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 16

Jump to solution

Hi Greg,

Are you running any security program, antivirus that could be blocking the export operation?

I seen that happening with some security settings with Chrome.

Thanks,

Marc D.

GSperry
Contributor II
Message 6 of 16

Jump to solution

Marc -

I shut down my antivirus (Avast free version) and tried the chrome extension but no change. 

I tried the Windows app and it changed behavior - after submitting my master password it gave the option to save a file as 'truekey_export' with a .csv default file type.  I clicked ok and the file was saved but without a file type suffix.  Adding the suffix made it a valid .CSV export (imported into Excel).  The help '?' copy also changed to describe a CSV file like the chrome extension.

I re-enabled the antivirus and both exports behaved the same as when it was down.

I looked at the Windows Defender firewall and there weren't any specific settings related to McAfee or TrueKey and nothing with Chrome that looked promising.

The file created by the Windows app does contain a valid file of credentials with the correct number of entries and the attribute names that I see in the app/extension.

I'll admit to being perplexed - the app is now mimicking the chrome extension although it actually saves a file without a file type extension.  Did your team change a remote call that the app made?

So - progress of sorts.  I do have the immediate goal of getting a credential file even if the file extension isn't part of the app save and the extension behavior remains unchanged.

Greg

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 16

Jump to solution

Hi Greg,

Well we are making progress, so first of all, I dont understand by you meant by "the file extension isn't part of the app".

So it seems that the behavior with the desktop app was as per design and I will check tomorrow morning about the file naming.

The TK Chrome extension as per your test, it behaved the same way meaning did not give you an exported .csv file even with your A/V program disabled (and if you search for that .csv file it is no where to be found  correct)?

Thanks,

Marc D.

GSperry
Contributor II
Message 8 of 16

Jump to solution

Marc -

Good morning - sorry for the lack of clarity.

The app version export IS now working as expected.

Halting A/V scanning did not appear to have any effect on either the app or extension exports.

The app version of TK now prompts to save an export file and notes .csv as the file type .  If you just click ok to save a file is created ('truekey_export') without the '.csv' suffix.  The file itself contains valid data.  A manual rename adding the suffix is needed to make it easier to use in MS Excel. 

The chrome extension version is unchanged from my first post.  No prompt to save an export file after providing the master password and no exception displayed.  I scanned my disk and couldn't find any files named 'truekey_export' after running the extension export.

Greg

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 16

Jump to solution

Good morning Greg,

I did some testing this morning and can confirm about the naming, the True Key exported file does get created with the native desktop app without the .csv suffix although it prompts you the location where to save it and the format to save it in (.csv). I will check why we are not rendering it in .csv as it is intended.

I need a bit more clarification regarding your previous post:

"The app version export IS now working as expected."

"Halting A/V scanning did not appear to have any effect on either the app or extension exports."

Your True Key Chrome extension, the mode that works only on the browser and where the TK launchpad can be open within, disabling the A/V won't change the behaviour and the export tool won't wortk if the antivirus is disabled or not, correct?

Now, regarding the native desktop app, if I understand correctly, the export tool works as expected (besides the naming experience) and this has no efefct if the A/V is disabled or not, the export tool does provide you with an exported file: truekey_export, correct?

Thanks,

Marc D.

GSperry
Contributor II
Message 10 of 16

Jump to solution

I'll try again.

Disabling A/V scanning made no difference I could tell to the execution of the TK Windows app export.

Disabling A/V scanning made no difference I could tell to the execution of the TK Chrome extension export.

The TK windows app export now successfully prompts to save a file with a .csv default and creates a valid comma delimited export file (Truekey_export) minus the .csv suffix (changed from the JSON file export created when I first posted).

The TK chrome extension export does not prompt to save a file or provide any exception messages that would indicate a failure (unchanged since I first posted).  I was unable to find any disk evidence that a file was created without a save prompt.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community