Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crecord2
Former Member
Message 1 of 45

SafeKey Update Alert Wont Go Away

Jump to solution

Screenshot - 5_29_2015 , 11_53_42 AM.jpgEvery time I open my browser (Internet Explorer) I get a yellow banner alert that says "Get more out of SafeKey with our latest update.  Click View Alert to get started".  I have done this several times.  I clicked the alert, downloaded the update (which I already had) and installed. This still comes back over and over.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling all McAfee products, but it still keeps coming back.  It's not hurting my computer, but VERY annoying.  Any ideas how to kill it?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 36 of 45

Re: SafeKey Update Alert Wont Go Away

Jump to solution

According to the sales pages, Safe Key has been replaced by True Key, a more comprehensive tool.

Backup your passwords as per the next post.

You could selectively uninstall Safe Key only via Control Panel > Programs and Features

If it isn't listed separately click the main McAfee item and you should be offered the option to uninstall only certain components.

True Key should than be offered in SecurityCenter > Navigation > Features.

If not, uninstall all, reboot if asked.

Then use the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Reinstall from your online account using the custom method to only install the components you need and want.

There's a page about True Key here:  https://www.truekey.com/

View solution in original post

44 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 45

Jump to solution

That certainly does not look like a McAfee prompt ? Try running Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner and see if it resolves your issues. You can obtain these Superb (Free) tools and more here:

All the best

Catdaddy

Volunteer Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 45

Jump to solution

Uncertain as to move this to 'Home User Assistance', or leave be?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 45

Jump to solution

Have you tried clicking on it and then refusing whatever it says?

I've seen similar prompts on my tablet, where are you seeing this and in what system?

crecord2
Former Member
Message 5 of 45

Jump to solution

A McAfee tech tried to fix it.  He even took over my computer, deleted everything and reinstalled.  Didn't comment it wasn't their banner (just the yellow part).  Have been escalated to Tier 2 support which may take a while, just thought if someone else had seen and fixed this.  I have run SpyHunter and it didn't find anything related to this.

crecord2
Former Member
Message 6 of 45

Jump to solution

If I click on it, it downloads the latest version of SafeKey from McAfee (yes McAfee).  I install the latest version.  Shut down, restart and it still prompts me to update.

crecord2
Former Member
Message 7 of 45

Jump to solution

On a desktop, Windows 8.1 and IE 11.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 45

Jump to solution

Let me boot into my Win 8.1 and see what's going on.  I'll post back.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 45

Jump to solution

I noticed you mentioned 'Spyhunter' ?  I highly recommend removing this application. Even though it has suppose to have improved a bit, it at one point in time was considered 'ScareWare/RogueWare. Just my honest opinion.

All the best

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 45

Jump to solution

OK I'm in my McAfee All Access in Win 8.1.  Although it is available on my online account page I never installed SafeKey but I do not ever see such prompts here, so I wonder if perhaps it is something that has been agreed with either the supplier of your software (if applicable) or one of your other add-ons - the most obvious being with that toolbar beneath.   You can rest assured it's genuine.  SafeKey is a means of protecting all your passwords in one spot.   If all else fails you could download and install it but just don't bother setting it up.

Another thought, when you install from your online account do you recall if there was an option to do a Custom install?   If so, if you refused it there then perhaps that would stop this.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community