cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JTCL
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

PC always freezes and then restarts automatically due to this error which I found in event viewer

Please help me to fix this error.

The password notification DLL C:\Program Files\TrueKey\McAfeeTrueKeyPasswordFilter failed to load with error 126. Please verify that the notification DLL path defined in the registry, HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\Notification Packages, refers to a correct and absolute path (<drive>:\<path>\<filename>.<ext>) and not a relative or invalid path. If the DLL path is correct, please validate that any supporting files are located in the same directory, and that the system account has read access to both the DLL path and any supporting files.  Contact the provider of the notification DLL for additional support. Further details can be found on the web at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=245898.

Source is Directory-Services-SAM

Event ID is 16953

I have uninstalled McAfee and I cannot find TrueKey folder in Program Files.

12 Replies
mgut24
Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: PC always freezes and then restarts automatically due to this error which I found in event viewe

I'm having that exact same problem. Hope someone can help here

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 13

Re: PC always freezes and then restarts automatically due to this error which I found in event viewe

Good morning,

Can you provide a screenshot of the error and can you also let me know what is the issue exactly?

I would also need to know your system operating system and True Key versions?

Thanks,

Marc D.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 13

Good morning,

So you have already uninstalled True Key right? You received the True Key offering trough your McAfee security suite software?

Thanks,

Marc D.

JTCL
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Thanks for replying. Please find the attached screenshot. The issue is that my PC will occasionally freeze and then restart itself automatically. When I check in the event viewer, this error always shows up. My operating system is Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language. I don't remember I uninstalled True Key and I don't know the version. I can only remember that I uninstalled McAfee. Capture.JPG

JTCL
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

I don't remember I uninstalled True Key but it's not there in my Program Files folder. I believe True Key came together with McAfee software when I purchased my Alienware desktop. I have never heard of True Key before, not to mention I installed or uninstalled it myself.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 13

Good morning,

Is possible you got True Key after you installed an Adobe Reader software as it might have come bundled with it. Even if it did come with the McAfee suite, it is only a tile that once you click on it will initiate the installation.

If there's no trace of True Key on your system currently, you can install it from the Chrome of Firefox browser by going to www.truekey.com. Having said this, I will look into this error further and see what I can come up with.

Thanks,

Marc D.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 13

Hi again,

If you are not looking to reinstall True Key on your system, can you confirm that you are still seeing your system freezing/restarting occasionally? 

Even if True Key is not on your program files, there are probably still traces of the software present on your system, to make sure you have completely;y deleted all traces please follow this FAQ that has step by step how to remove it: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS10133

The method #2, using the MCPR tool will ensure that no traces are left behind on your system. Once all traces are removed, please let me know if your system is still freezing or restarting.

Thanks,

Marc D.

JTCL
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Thanks for all your help. I'm not looking to reinstall True Key. I will try your suggested method and then come back to this thread if the freeze/restart still persists.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 10 of 13

Good morning,

Please let me know going forward if you experience any freezing/restarting. 

Thanks,

Marc D.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community