cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sam_K
Contributor
Message 1 of 36

Numerous Issues

When I first installed True Key it worked perfectly fine, but over time it began to take longer and longer for the fingerprint scan to run for the login, until today when it stopped working all together. Since I was stuck at the fingerprint scan window, I was unable to enter my master password, so I uninstalled True Key from my computer. I have reinstalled True Key but now I get this message when trying to log into my account:

"Hmm, not able to connect. There seems to be a problem connecting to the True Key servers. Try again, or sign in offline using your Master Password."

I have been trying again over and over with no change and when I try to sign in offline, I get this message:

"Oops, no internet connection. You're not online. Reconnect to the internet and try again."

This is becoming very frustrating. I have tried everything I can think of and nothing works. My OS is Windows 10 by the way.

35 Replies
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 36

Re: Numerous Issues

Good morning,

I tried to reproduce this from various platforms and I had no issues logging in. The error of "There seems to be a problem connecting to the True Key servers. Try again, or sign in offline using your Master Password."it usually means there is a network glitch.

Can you try to ensure no network fault on your end is the culprit here?

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

Sam_K
Contributor
Message 3 of 36

I have tried restarting my computer, disconnecting from the internet and reconnecting, and even restarting both my modem and router. The error messages are still coming up. I am wondering if I should try uninstalling and reinstalling the software again to see if that would do anything.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 36

Do you have True Key running in only one computer or is it running on your mobile as well? and if so, is the issue there as well?

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

Sam_K
Contributor
Message 5 of 36

This computer is the only device I have it installed on.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 36

Well, reinstalling True Key might not be the solution and certainly not the one when only one system/device is running True Key because when you uninstall it becomes untrusted and to be able to trust it back you would need to receive an email or a second device (which this wont be your case since you have it only on one system) to authenticate yourself before being able to log in to the app successfully.

If you have it running on the Chrome extension, you could try using Firefox to go to www.truekey.com to download the True Key Firefox extension. Then start it up and let me know if you are able to connect to this extension instead.

Thanks,

Marc D.

Sam_K
Contributor
Message 7 of 36

Firefox is the only browser I use. Regardless of how I start True Key, the error message still comes up, whether it be through the stand-alone program or through the browser extension.

However, I just tried installing the Microsoft Edge extension for True Key and when I tried logging in I was sent a confirmation e-mail. The authentication was successful, yet I still can not log into my account through the Windows program and the "Hmm, unable to connect." error is still coming up.

So in summary, at this time True Key refuses to connect via the stand-alone software and the Firefox extension only opens the stand-alone window, but will let me log in with Microsoft Edge. This makes no sense to me and will not be useful at all considering I only use the Firefox browser.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 36

Well if you are able to login to your True Key account via Edge (let me know if this assumption is correct), then you have isolated the issue to probably your standalone TK app. Since you have TK running on Edge my advise would be to uninstall the standalone desktop app.

Anyways, we are going to be phasing out the standalone desktop application going forward and will only be using extension first where the application/ launchpad will open on the browser tab.

So as I said first remove the TK program from add/remove programs but don't uninstall True Key from your Edge extension. Then you can go to your Firefox browser and go to truekey.com and you will be downloading the Firefox True Key extension.

Let me know what happens once you do this.

Thanks,

Marc D.

Sam_K
Contributor
Message 9 of 36

Ok...so I uninstalled both the True Key app from my computer and the extension from Firefox and then restarted my computer. I then reinstalled the Firefox extension but it does absolutely nothing now when I click on the icon now that the app is uninstalled from the computer. So Microsoft Edge is still the only platform that True Key working properly on.

When I click on the icon in Edge, I get brought to the True Key screen with all of my saved passwords, showing exactly what the Windows app looks like. I assume this is also supposed to be happening with Firefox, but as I said, nothing happens upon clicking the icon.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 10 of 36

OK, the issue to me is really affecting the True Key Firefox extension and before we can be totally sure of that, have you tried downloading the TK Chrome extension from www.truekey.com. I think this could be a great test that would confirm issue only existing with Firefox.

Thanks,

Marc D.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community