Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shawnhannan
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Need help troubleshooting

Hello,

I'd love to get some help troubleshooting TrueKey...  I'm on a Windows 10 desktop using Firefox (78.0.2).  I also have McAfee Total Protection installed.

The TrueKey icon is shown in my System Tray and also in my browser extension set in the upper right corner of Firefox.  But basically, the extension doesn't work for me most of the time.  It has, on occasion in the past, put the "I just captured your credentials" banner at the top of the window, but it never fills in credentials on the sites where I know it captured them.  I mean, it did for a brief period of time after installation, but doesn't anymore.  (Yes, the extension is turned on. 🙂

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the extension with the same result--it seems to be working, then it stops working.  Maybe it stopped after a reboot?  Or maybe it was after the first time I shut down Firefox entirely and then reopened it?  I don't know...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Shawn

7 Replies
shawnhannan
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Need help troubleshooting

Okay, new information...  I find that if I open the True Key interface and click on a box to open a website, things work as expected--in Chrome, which is currently my default browser.  Is it necessary to open the first/initial browser window through True Key for things to work as intended?  In other words, is the problem that I have been opening Firefox from the desktop, and even though the extension is running, True Key isn't able to do its thing because I didn't get the browser to pop up as a result of clicking a site within the True Key interface?

Thanks!

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 8

Hi there,

A few comments, first off, before the browser extension (Chrome r Firefox) is able to do an instant login, you would need to have logged in to your True Key account previously, on your upper right hand side of your browser you will see the True Key icon and it should be blue color which means is connected to your account. If it is in red/black color, you are effectively signed out from your account.

A good way to know if you are connected to your TK account when you access a web page  for which you have a saved credential is to look on the credential fields at the end of them for the True Key blue icon.

Also, it would be very helpful to know if 100% of your saved websites credentials are not working (with Firefox) or is just some of them and then cross check them with Chrome to see if you are still seeing the same issue or it is isolated to only the Firefox browser or the specific web pages you are trying to connect to.

Thanks,

Marc D.

shawnhannan
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for jumping in, Marc!

In Firefox the extension icon is blue, but it seems to be broken.  When I go to a known website, I do NOT see the True Key icon in the credentials boxes.  Furthermore, if I go to an unknown website and log in, I get no notification banner at the top of Firefox to indicate the credentials were captured.

I just opened Chrome and confirmed it works as expected.  I can go to a known website in Chrome and it will log in.  If I go to the same website in Firefox I don't see the True Key icon in the credentials boxes and am not logged in.

To collect additional troubleshooting information, I went ahead and removed the extension from Firefox, then re-installed it from the True Key interface.  It appears to be working again.  However, we can't declare victory just yet, as I've removed and re-installed the extension a couple of times before, and it seems to break after a few days.

Question:  If I visit a site in Chrome and True Key captures my credentials, then later visit the same site in Firefox, should I expect True Key to log in for me?

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 8

Good morning,

I won't declare victory either until you confirm it to me. In the meantime, I can ask a few more questions that will be important to know if the issue with the auto-login happens again with the Firefox browser.

First off, are you now using Firefox as your default browser? Can you please provide me  the versions of your True Key app as well as the True Key extension versions for Chrome and Firefox and finally both browser versions?

I also would like to know more about specific websites that yesterday weren't working with the True Key Firefox extension but the same were indeed working with the True Key Chrome extension so we can also test them? 

This is extremely important to know, because there are 3 different factors that I might be looking at:

1- Issues with specific websites where auto login is not being carried out (with either auto-fill where your credentials get filled or with the auto-submit where the enter button to connect to the website is being done in the background) .

2- True Key browser extension as the culprit, in this case, the True Key Firefox extension if the majority of these websites work with the TK Chrome extension but not with the TK Firefox extension.

3- Finally, issue might also be with the browser itself, again in this case with the Firefox browser, I have seen Firefox acting up because it is being blocked by a security/ A/V app running on your system being deemed as suspicious.

Thanks,

Marc D.

shawnhannan
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Yes, I've now set Firefox as my default browser.

Version numbers:

True Key = 6.1.132.1

Chrome = 84.0.4147.89 | TK extension = 4.1.0.9260

Firefox = 78.0.2 | TK extension = 4.1.0.9260

Examples of websites that Chrome, but not Firefox, would automatically log into last night:

outlook.live.com, login.webbox.com, home.mcafee.com (just noticed this one still isn't working today)

Thanks,

Shawn

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 8

Hi again,

This is basically what I thought, I tested these websites and all of them had the True Key blue icon on the credentials fields which means that True Key extension was in sync with the app. Furthermore, i tested on my Firefox browser the "home.mcafee.com" web page and I was automatically logged in.

Issue seems to be related to your Firefox browser preventing the automatic log in using our extension.

Have you checked the security programs running on your system that might be blocking it or Firefox settings that might have been modified to do the same?

Thanks,

Marc D.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 8

Hi there,

Issue seems to be related to your Firefox browser preventing the automatic log in using our extension.

Have you checked the security programs running on your system that might be blocking it or Firefox settings that might have been modified to do the same?

Thanks,

Marc D.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community