cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
styrheim
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

How to get back to conventional Windows login?

My parent is elsewhere, and has somehow managed to activate True Key logon to Windows. 

I am at the other side of the sea, and can't see or touch the PC..

How can she get past True Key, and log on by entering the Windows password. As far as I understand via telephone, she is stuck on something, probably True Key, asking for some PIN.

A link to the user manual might be useful here. 

5 Replies
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 6

Re: How to get back to conventional Windows login?

Good morning,

Probably that Windows Hello was activated. If this is the case they could temporarily disable Windows Hello using the steps in the Workaround, below, and revert to using your normal account password to log on to Windows 10.

To disable Windows Hello:
  1. Click Start 

on the bottom left of your Windows desktop.

2. In the search box:
    1. Type Settings.
    2. Press ENTER.
  3. Click Accounts.
  4. Click Sign-in options.
  5. Under Windows Hello, click Remove, and confirm that you want to remove this feature.

I hope this solves the issue.

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

styrheim
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

To disable Hello, she has to log in first. So, she needs to ignore Hello/TrueKey nagging about some PIN that she does not know, and log in with the old userid/password that she does know.

This might be pretty obvious if I could see her screen, but I can't. I need to know enough to navigate her to the old login procedure, over the phone, and without me seeing her screen.

(Then I will guide her to get rid of Hello.)

As far as I understand, she should be albe to circumvent Hello by clicking "Sign-in options", see screenshot from https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-windows-hello-lock-screen-windows-10-april-2018-update (red frame around the wrong field.)

Capture.PNG
But she reports that this entire screen is blanked out, when True key is up, asking for the PIN?

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 6

Good morning,

I am sorry I should have figured that they were stuck at the login screen, my solution involved being already logged in to their Windows account.

In general Windows Hello using TK to login in should be able to be bypassed by clicking on the "sign-in options", it should then provide a regular Windows login screen. But if they cannot see anything but a blank screen, I have not seen that behavior from True Key.

I have searched and found several similar issues pointing to an issue with the Windows setup.

Marc D.

styrheim
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Even in cases where I can see the screen and the mouse, it is very hard to guide old people on a PC via telephone. In this case, I can't see anything.

I'll figure this out when travel restrictions are lifted. August, maybe.

Jan Egil

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 6

Hi Jan,

I understand that it is difficult providing help remotely. We'll be here hopefully, to help you further if it is needed once you are physically there.

Thanks and stay safe,

Marc D.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community