cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
secfiend
Contributor II
Message 1 of 14

How to disable browser extensions?

I want to disable Truekey from constantly requesting to install browser extensions.  The use of browser extensions is not secure and should be removed from the product altogether.  How do I disable?

13 Replies
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 14

Re: How to disable browser extensions?

Good morning,

The idea of removing the True Key browser extensions altogether from the application is an interesting one, as this is probably the most sought after feature (instant login) of our app, without these extensions True Key instant login would not be able to work correctly.

Having said that, if you dont need the instant login feature you can certainly just uninstall the browser extension, I dont know which one it is in your case, Edge, Chrome or Firefox but they all have a specific extension. Once the extension is uninstalled, TK will no longer communicate with the extension and instant login will stop working.

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

secfiend
Contributor II
Message 3 of 14

Good morning.

Thank you for the prompt response.  I have been using other open source password managers for years.  These other apps offer the user the control to determine how the credential is being used.  For example, instead of using the Instant Log In, which I have disabled, I would like the option to pass a "hotkey" or sequence to the app, like CTL-C, to have it auto-complete the entry in to the appropriate form fields.  KeyPass is excellent at this.  At this point, my biggest problem with the Instant Log In feature is that, even though I have it disabled, the application notifies me every few minutes to enable it.  I want this notification to stop.  Sometimes applications are a little too "careful".  There are people out here who understand applications and make logical decisions to turn features off.  Now, I'd like to stop being pestered by the app that I pay for.  I hope this makes sense.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 14

Good morning,

Absolutely makers sense to me, in my opinion if you can deactivate the instant login feature from within the app, you should be able to turn off the instant login notifications as well.

Give me a few ideas and I will come to you with a plan on how we are going to address this as this is a design/feature issue.

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

secfiend
Contributor II
Message 5 of 14

Hi, Marc.

1. The "big bang" fix would be to simply not notify a user that has manually disabled the "Instant Log In" feature.  Or, perhaps change the notification timing to, say, once every 30 days, instead of once every few minutes.

2. Add a feature that allows the user to control notifications.  I'm currently using the Chrome Extension version of TrueKey on one computer, and the PC-installed app on another.  They sync nicely.  However, in the "App Settings" menu, there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust notifications.  This all seems to be "behind the scenes" and the user can't interact with that portion of the app.

Personally, I think #1 is a lighter lift... simply adjust the notification timing.  Long term, maybe it makes sense to add a feature that allows the end user to play with notification settings... unless I'm completely missing something that is terribly obvious... wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.  🙂

I appreciate all the communication... good to know people care.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 14

Hi Dean,

We will be looking at making a robust solution to turn off the instant login feature and its related notifications, it makes total sense.

I will get back to you as I said on myour previous post as soon as I know more or we have a more concrete action plan on how we will be addressing this.

Thanks,

Marc D.

jrbvt
Contributor II
Message 7 of 14

I agree the browser extension is dangerous.

I have found that if you do not log out of TK, the browser extension will still be active even after you reboot the computer.

So, if you are on a shared computer (e.g. at home) and you think you are safe shutting down the PC ... you are not.   The next person who boots the computer has access to your TK and you are exposed.

The browser extension should turn off if the PC shuts down.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 14

Hi there,

Can you provide more details regarding how the TK browser extension is still active after a reboot?

I would need if possible a video that shows that it is active upon rebooting your system because at this point it should have lost connection with the app forcing you to log aback in in order to access your logins.

Are you using the True Key standalone desktop app or extension first where the launchpad is opening on a browser tab?

Finally, let me know the operating system version as well as the True Key extension version/ desktop app version?

Thanks,

Marc D.

jrbvt
Contributor II
Message 9 of 14

Marc - (long time since I have been on this system)

There is a chance now that I think of it that the PC I was using was only in 'sleep' mode.   I thought it was in full shutdown when I noticed the issue.   I will debug later this week and let you know. 

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 10 of 14

Great I appreciate that.

What you described would definitely be a major problem if anyone could access a True Key account after the system that is installed on is rebooted.

As a matter of fact, if you set the auto-lock time settings to 7 days where typically you wont need to log back in during those 7 days, the only thing that it would make you log back in within those 7 days is that the system is rebooted thus losing connection with the TK app.

Thanks,

Marc D.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community