cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AllanR
Contributor II
Message 1 of 27

FireFox 64 lag when clicking, scrolling, selecting and typing

I am using TrueKey 3.1.0.9211 on Firefox 64 on macOS 10.12 and there is a horrible 1 second lag when trying to do anything on a webpage.   If I disable the extension, the lag goes away.

• This problem has existed for about a year now
  • Does not manifest in Chrome
  • I have uninstalled Firefox completely along with all extensions, reinstalled them one-by-one and the symptoms didn't reappear until I installed the TrueKey extension
  • Most importantly, the symptoms persist on a brand new (different Mac), clean install of macOS  Mojave with no other 3rd party software (other than Firefox).

I use TrueKey on macOS, Windows10, and iOS 12.  The only place I have an issue with TrueKey is on Firefox for Mac.

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
26 Replies
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 27

Re: FireFox 64 lag when clicking, scrolling, selecting and typing

Hi Allan,

Can you confirm your Firefox browser versioni? I just installed version 64.0.2 that seems to be the latest and I cannot reproduce the lag you reported.

We will investigate this so please go to your Firefox menu (3 bars on the top right), click on the last menu item ("Help") and click on "Troubleshooting Information", can you please send me the page's output to "truekeysupport@mcafee.com".

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

AllanR
Contributor II
Message 3 of 27

The FF version that I'm using is 64.0.2
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 27

Hi Allan,

I have received the troubleshooting page details on the email and I have forwarded this infio to our development team so we can start inventigating what is going on. I should be able to get back to you in a few days with some more updates.

In the meantime, can you confirm if you have a Windows system where you could test the Firefox True Key extension as well?

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

AllanR
Contributor II
Message 5 of 27

When I return to the office, tomorrow, I will test out on my Win10 machine.

Thanks for the quick reply.
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 27

I appreciate that, I am trying to isolate the platform so testing it on a win10 machine might answer that.

FYI, I tested it on both MAC and Win10 and I could not reproduce the issue.

Thanks,

Marc D.

AllanR
Contributor II
Message 7 of 27

Just a quick update....

After re-enabling the plug in, it works fine, until the machine goes into screen saver mode (not to sleep/hibernate - I run FreeBSD development servers in VMs on it).

When I unlock the Mac and go to FF, the symptoms return. I disable the plugin, restart FF and the problem goes away.

So in summary - no problem when initially installed, but when FF sits idle for a while, the problem returns.
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 27

Thanks I will try to reproduce the same scenario tomorrow and will get back to you.

Also, please let me know the results with your test with Win10.

Thanks,

Marc D.

AllanR
Contributor II
Message 9 of 27

Some updates....

Windows 10 machine has no problems. On the exact same site (with TK enabled) there is no lag on the Windows machine. I also repeated the conditions of allowing the screen saver to activate, unlock the machine and try browsing - there was no issue.

The Macs continue to exhibit the same behavior. As a test, I enabled TK, allowed the screensaver to activate, unlocked it and allowed the symptom to manifest. I then disabled it but instead of restarting, allowed screen saver to start. The symptoms remain - the only way to remove the symptoms is to restart FF.

The one difference I've noticed is that Windows doesn't require the TK stand alone app where as on the Mac, it does.
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 10 of 27

Hi Allan,

I just sent you an email, can you please retest any other browser extension (not True Key) when the screen saver comes on to see how it reacts.  Again, issue might be laying not with True Key but rather between MAC OSX and its screen saver behaviour.

Also, True Key on extension first, meaning that launchpad opens only on the browser can be downloaded and installed in theory on any platform, MAC OSX included. My guess is that you installed True Key on your MAC a while ago, but if you were to do it today by going to our website (www.truekey.com) using your default browser, you would be getting extension first.

This might be a worthwhile test after checking behaviour with screen saver with any other extension, changing from standalone to extension first but only after making sure that no traces of the standalone True key app are on your MAC, you would then go to the website and download True Key.

Thanks,

Marc D.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community