cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lvbaal
Contributor II
Message 1 of 9

Cannot set up 2nd device as 2nd factor in advanced security level

I have a new Android smartphone and am strugling with setting up the security level on logging in to True Key in the Chrome extension on PC.

Before, I was used to logging in on the PC by entering the master password and sviping on my smartphone to log in. Now I have installed the True Key app on the smartphone, but I cannot activate this device as a 2nd factor.

Here are the steps I do:

1. Install the True Key app on the smartphone from Google Play Store

2. The smartphone is added as trusted device in my True Key account

3. Logg in on the PC by entering the master password

4. Now I expect the True App on the smartphone to show the svipe dialogue to log in on the PC

5. In stead it sends an email to confirm my identity 

Also I notice that on my smartphone in the app I cannot activate the smartphone as 2nd device. Sliding the button to mark it as 2nd device says: ¨something went wrong¨

Please help

8 Replies
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 9

Re: Cannot set up 2nd device as 2nd factor in advanced security level

Good morning,

Once your new smartphone has been trusted, and you can log in normally to your True Key account  on this device, then you can use it as a second device but this has to be done from a desktop computer.

While active security factors are the Master Password, Fingerprint and the Face recognition, passive security factors are the 2nd device and email. Si in this case, it is sending you an email as probably no other security factor is set.

From your PC, in the advance security level, you should see a button to select 2nd device and you should be able to choose it as long as I said previously that your smartphone has already been trusted (you will see it's trusted on the bottom of your security factors).

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

lvbaal
Contributor II
Message 3 of 9

Hi Marc,

Yes, on the PC there is a button 2nd device in the advanced security level. but when I press it, all it does is sending me an email in which I am asked to install TrueKey on al my devices, something that is already the case. And still, on my phone, I cannot mark that device as ¨second device¨ because sviping the slider says ¨something went wrong¨. Please advise further. Thanks

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 9

Hi Leo,

Ok I understand the issue you are facing, let me investigate this and I will get back to you within 48 hours.

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 9

Hi Leo,

Please confirm you have followed these steps to ensure that your new smartphone is set to be used as a second device:

- Click on "Manage trusted Devices" list

-  You will see the following devices on your list: Chrome, Firefox, HUAWEI CLT-L29 and Microsoft Edge

- Click on the highlighed device that should be the HUAWEI device and turn on the "2nd device" flag so it can be activated.

Thanks,

Marc D.

lvbaal
Contributor II
Message 6 of 9

I tried this before. But it's here where the "something went wrong" message is shown when I try to set the device as 2nd device. Please advise further 

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 9

Hi Leo,

We are investigating why your mobile device cannot get these pushed notidfications and therefore cannot be activated as a second device. I will get back to you as soon as I know more.

Thanks,

Marc D.

lvbaal
Contributor II
Message 8 of 9

Hello again Marc,

Can you tell me if there is anything new to report on this issue? It's been 2 weeks now and I still cannot setup my mobile device as a 2nd factor: still receiving ¨something went wrong¨ error message when trying this.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 9

Hi Leo,

Unfortunately I have not received any updates, I understand that for now you cannot add your phone as a second device, but our dev team is still investigating the root of the issue.

I will get back to you when I know more.

Thanks,

Marc D.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community