cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
micah-zoltu
Contributor III
Message 1 of 8

Cannot access True Key without internet connection.

I am in a location with incredibly poor internet.  When I try to open True Key via Firefox or Edge extension when my internet is out or cutting out, I get an error message "Something went wrong" and it doesn't allow me to login.  I can see no way in the extension to force an offline login so I am unable to access my passwords.

This is particularly frustrating because I store the password for my router in True Key!  This means in order to access my router to troubleshoot my issue I have to reset it to factory defaults because I can't access True Key.

I have run into a bunch of bugs with True Key (all reported here over time) but being unable to access my passwords from a trusted device with my master password while offline is a deal breaker as that is pretty major functionality for me since I store a lot of secrets in True Key (not all of which need an internet connection to be useful).

Is there a way to force open True Key on Windows via Firefox extension in offline mode?  Some posts on this forum imply that there is an offline mode, but I cannot find it anywhere.

7 Replies
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 8

Re: Cannot access True Key without internet connection.

Good morning Micah,

Let me try a few things and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Marc D.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 8

Hi Micah,

As promised, I checked your report and indeed found not being offered to go offline after loosing internet connectivity on Firefox extension first. I did see no issues with Edge or Chrome in extension first.

I am going to raise this as a priority bug that will be fixed, in the meantime a temp workaround will be to use Chrome or Edge extensions to go in offline mode.

I appreciate you reported this to me, it is a big issue and will be fixed.

Thanks,

Marc D.

micah-zoltu
Contributor III
Message 4 of 8

I tried using Edge extension and was able to login during an internet outage.  However, things did not go smoothly.  It appears that in Edge when I mis-type my password during an outage it doesn't tell me my password was wrong but instead tells me that something went wrong.  The process (from memory, may be off a bit was):

1. Click sign-in.
  2. Type my password wrong.
  3. Wait for TrueKey to realize it can't connect.
  4. Click "Open offline"
  5. Get kicked back to the sign-in screen with a bar at the top showing offline mode.
  6. goto step 1

I thought it was just broken but tried it a few times and eventually got in.  I _suspect_ I was typing my password wrong (my master password is very long and hard to type correctly).

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 8

Hi Micah,

I did a lot of testing trying to reproduce the issue on an Edge browser but all my tests were negative and it worked for me all the time. I will continue testing it to see if I can reprduce but I have asked colleagues to try as well but did not see any issues either.

Thanks,
Marc D.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 8

Let me know Micah if you still seeing this issue.

Thanks,

Marc D.

micah-zoltu
Contributor III
Message 7 of 8

I just tried to access my passwords with Edge while my internet connection was out and once again received no option to login offline.

When I enter my password (correctly or incorrectly) the submit button changes into "Something went wrong".  Clicking it a few times in a row will eventually offer to let me create a new account.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 8

Thanks Micah, our initial testing were negative and we were offerred an offline mode on Edge when losing internet connectivity.

Having said that, I have asked again this morning to retry these testings on different devices and see if we can reproduce what you are seeing on our end as well. I will let you know this week with results.

Thanks again for reporting this to me,

Marc D.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community