Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregM67
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Can True Key Default Open Firefox?

Jump to solution

Hi all,

It seems that when I launch a website from inside True Key, it always opens the Microsoft browser.  I've installed the Firefox extension several times and the icon is on my Firefox bar but I can't find a setting to make Firefox the default application to launch.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Greg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 12

Re: Can True Key Default Open Firefox?

Jump to solution

Hi Greg,

The reason why I asked is because probably it would be a good idea to reinstall the True Key app.

If you have it already running on another system/device then is OK because you wont be losing the trust relationship when you try to reinstall the application.

Also, let me also explain that you beenrunning True Key as a standalone desktop app and after you have uninstall it from your control panel (as long as you have another device with Truer Key), if you go to www.truekey.com from the Firefox browser you will be installing extension first, which means that you will have True Key only running on your browser tab, the launchpad would also open in the browser, etc.

Thanks,

Marc  D.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi Greg,

By the Microsoft browser, you are referring to the Edge browser correct?

Can you tell me what happens if you change it on the system:

Select the Start button, and then type Default apps.

In the search results, select Default apps.

Under Web browser, select the browser currently listed, and then select the Firefox browser.

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

GregM67
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Jump to solution

Marc,

Thanks for the reply.  It launches Explorer actually!  And I checked and Firefox is already listed as my Default Browser in the settings.

Greg

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi Greg,

Please try the following steps:

1. Right click at Start button
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. In the top right, click View by
  4. Click either large or small
  5. Click Default Programs
  6. Click Set your default programs
  7. On the left side, do you see your Firefox? If yes, click it
  8. On the right side, click "Set this program as default"
  9. Click OK when done

Let me know how this goes.

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 12

Jump to solution

Greg,

If this does not work, disabling IE browser completely on your system should do it:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2734/uninstall-disable-delete-internet-explorer-8-from-windows-7/

Thanks,

Marc D.

GregM67
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Jump to solution

Marc,

Thanks for sticking with me.  My default was and is Firefox so trying to change that didn't work.  I followed the steps to wipe out IE and it sort of worked: my True Key doesn't launch IE...but it doesn't launch ANYTHING at all now.

Ideas?

Greg

GregM67
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Jump to solution

NEW INFO:

In my True Key app settings, it says I need to reinstall my Firefox extension.  I have re-installed it multiple times, even to the point that I am launching True Key FROM my Firefox tool bar...but still says 'reinstall extension'.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi Greg,

Besides your Win 10 system, do you have True Key running anywhere else, like a mobile device?

Thanks,

Marc D.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi Greg,

The reason why I asked is because probably it would be a good idea to reinstall the True Key app.

If you have it already running on another system/device then is OK because you wont be losing the trust relationship when you try to reinstall the application.

Also, let me also explain that you beenrunning True Key as a standalone desktop app and after you have uninstall it from your control panel (as long as you have another device with Truer Key), if you go to www.truekey.com from the Firefox browser you will be installing extension first, which means that you will have True Key only running on your browser tab, the launchpad would also open in the browser, etc.

Thanks,

Marc  D.

Felix_I
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 10 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi @GregM67,

According to Marc's suggestion, you need to uninstall True Key Application from your computer and reinstall. Reinstalling True Key, you need to go to www.truekey.com/download to install the Standalone Application but, www.truekey.com installs Browser Extension.

Trying reinstalling True Key Application on your computer and once you are signed in to your profile, go to settings, App settings and click on enable browser extension and select Firefox. Enable True Key extension on Firefox and then try accessing any of your logins saved in your True Key launch Pad.

Regards,
Felix.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community