cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zkaps
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Advanced Security Level not Persistent

I changed the TrueKey security level from Basic to Advanced using Chrome in a Win10 environment.  As expected, when I login to TrueKey on the PC I had used to change the security level, I have to authenticate using the 2nd device as well as entering the master password.  However, when I login to TrueKey on my other PCs using the same user ID, the security level is still Basic....I only have to enter the master password.  Is Advanced security level supposed to work this way ?  I would think the Advanced security level should be attached to the user ID and not to the platform on which it is used so that two-factor authentication for a user ID is active regardless of where it is used.  Please let me know.

Thanks,
zkaps

3 Replies
Madhan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 4

Re: Advanced Security Level not Persistent

Hello @zkaps 

Please access TrueKey settings on the other computer and check if it shows Advanced Security level turned On. If not, please turn it on so that it works on the other one too.

Regards,
Madhan M

zkaps
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your response and apologies for my tardy reply.  I did not realize you had responded until today.

I think you are missing the point of my comment.  I know I can turn-on Advanced Security in the other computer but this severely limits the value of the TrueKey implementation of 2-factor authentication.  The value of the Advanced security with a second factor is to prevent compromising the contents of the TrueKey profile in case the other factor has been compromised.  But this seems to be true only when TrueKey is accessed with the user's own computer(s).  For example, if the Master Password has been compromised, then anyone other than the owner of the TrueKey profile can specify Basic security on his/her computer and access the TrueKey profile using the stolen password.  The Advanced security setting with 2-factor authentication is not tied to the TrueKey profile but to a computer even though the asset that is being secured is the TrueKey profile.

What am I missing here ?  I would appreciate a response.

zkaps
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

I would appreciate a response.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community