Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mcboy
Contributor III
Message 11 of 49

Re: 2 Factor Verification - Killing Me

Jump to solution

where do I find the version #?   I registered for TK yesterday so I assume I have the most current.

By the way, I just signed off and back on multipe times    3 time it went to the cell phone prompt and the last time to email

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 12 of 49

Jump to solution

Just replied you on a DM.

Thanks,

Marc D.

Mcboy
Contributor III
Message 13 of 49

Jump to solution

anything new???

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 14 of 49

Jump to solution

I sent you already a DM.

Thanks,

Marc D.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 15 of 49

Jump to solution

Let me recap what is happening so far so maybe other community forum can also be aware of your experience you reported to me.

Second device/ email are generally considered as passive authentication factors, why in your case you have both I am not sure at this time, but it is definitely the reason why sometimes you will get authenticated on your mobile second device and other times by email.

I also understand that you are not a Google Chrome user but the reason why I asked to download it, it was just to validate that the issue was not following the client (Firefox or Chrome browsers).

It is up to you if you want to validate this but I will investigate further to see if this is a backend issue related to your account or it is per design, Also without the Chrome validation, it could also be Firefox client related.

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

Mcboy
Contributor III
Message 16 of 49

Jump to solution

As I understand your response, since my cell is the 2nd device and being passive, verification goes to email first ( I still would like to know why sometimes they do go to the cell - the preferred device.  What triggers it to do that?).

I see no option that allows me to change the priority of cell over email. If anyone knows how I'd like to know.   In fact, the only reason why my email is the primary device is because during installation TK asked me for my email and it defaulted to the primary device.  Email is inefficient because it takes much more time and keystrokes to get to the "Confirm Access" button vs. the swipe prompt on the cell phone. 

Unless there is a fix for this I may have no choice but to avoid using TK at all and cancelling my subscription.  Waiting for an email to verify just takes too long.

Mcboy
Contributor III
Message 17 of 49

Jump to solution

As I understand your response, since my cell is the 2nd device and being passive, verification goes to email first ( I still would like to know why sometimes they do go to the cell - the preferred device.  What triggers it to do that?).

I see no option that allows me to change the priority of cell over email. If anyone knows how I'd like to know.   In fact, the only reason why my email is the primary device is because during installation TK asked me for my email and it defaulted to the primary device.  Email is inefficient because it takes much more time and keystrokes to get to the "Confirm Access" button vs. the swipe prompt on the cell phone. 

Unless there is a fix for this I may have no choice but to avoid using TK at all and cancelling my subscription.  Waiting for an email to verify just takes too long.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 18 of 49

Jump to solution

Good morning,

What triggers 2nd device over email or email over 2nd device is unknown at this point, we will investigate if this is a per design or there is a bigger issue here and I will get back to you as soon as we have something more concrete.

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

marcd
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 19 of 49

Jump to solution

We are still looking into this, we have tested this since last week and consistently authentication is being pushed to the second device.

While they want to make sure that you are clicking on the 2nd device button instead of the of the email link I am sure that you are doing the right thing.

Perhaps you can do a quick video capture of the steps you are taking before push notification is sent to your second device or you get the authentication email.

Thanks,

Marc D.

Mcboy
Contributor III
Message 20 of 49

Jump to solution

.....Perhaps you can do a quick video capture of the steps you are taking before push notification is sent to your second device or you get the authentication email......

I have sent you screen shots and my settings to you in an email that I replied to. Please check your email inbox.

Thanks.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community