cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Markmer
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

Total Protection disappears then reappears (crashes?)

Hello everyone!

Recently my McAfee Total Protection has been doing something weird. It's icon is constantly showing on my taskbar, however, on some occasions, it disappears. The icon disappears, my laptop refreshes and my cursor turns into a loading cursor, then the icon reappears.

It's only a few seconds long, so I never have the chance to check out what exactly might be happening. I have made sure that the icon doesn't just "hide", the app actually closes or crashes or something similar happens to it.

I have tried to chat with Support about this, but the only advice they could give me to fix the issue was to reinstall McAfee, which I did, with a completely clean uninstall. It keeps happening. They also said that it could be something with my system files, and asked if I had the latest Windows 10, and I do, so that didn't lead anywhere, either.

What could be the issue? Could a malware cause this? The reason why it's so weird for me is that it also usually happens at night, or late afternoon. I never spot this anomaly during working in the morning or early afternoon.

My only speculation, if it has nothing to do with a virus or system error, is that it might have something to do with system overload, because I work a lot on my laptop, it's almost open all day long. Could this affect my Total Protection? This is my only theory besides a virus or system error causing it.

2 Replies
Magesh
Message 2 of 3

Re: Total Protection disappears then reappears (crashes?)

Hi @Markmer 

Please let us know the McAfee version installed and also let us know if it is up to date.. 

Please perform the below 

Disable Access protection in general settings and force update McAfee

Ensure the OS is up to date 

Perform a complete scan and check for threats  and update us with the outcome..

Thanks,,

Kind;y

Markmer
Level 7
Message 3 of 3

Re: Total Protection disappears then reappears (crashes?)

Hi @Magesh

I'm sorry for not replying for so long!

I have McAfee Total Protection 16.0 and McAfee Security Center 19.1.

My OS seems to be up-to-date, it's Windows 10 20H2. It isn't activated at the moment, though, could that be the cause of the issue?

I have tried disabling Access Protection and forcing an update, it didn't change anything, I just got the message that my McAfee is up-to-date.

I have also performed a full scan, and while it did find a file to be malicious, the issue has been there before the file, and has been there since my McAfee put it into quarantine.

I hope that my reply will help find us a solution, because the issue seems to keep happening. I have found that it almost always happens at around 21:30, too, which is very suspicious to me.

Thanks!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community