cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WarriorneX
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 15

Real Time Scanning , Can't Open Excel & Word on Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Office 2010.

McAfee Total Protection 

• Version 16.0
  • Release Name: 16.0 R36

Components

• McAfee SecurityCenter
  • Affld: 0
  • Build: 19.6.169
  • Language: en-us
  • Last update: 8/18/2021
  • Version: 19.6

Hi, I'm experiencing this problem since Sunday August 22, 2021, on Excel and Word, on Office 2007 and 2010. I have multiple computers at the office, and it had been total chaos this 2 days. 

On the computer with Microsoft Office 2007, excel keeps on "running virus scan" forever and it doesn't work, after trying to kill the process in task manager it gave an error and the computer froze completely. Force shutdown needed to be done. Word 2007 doesn't even open. Tried some of the workaround but the only solution is to turn real time scanning off and then everything works without problems, This is only on Word and Excel 2007.

On the computers running Microsoft Office 2010, excel keeps on "running virus scan" and it stay there saying that "Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE action". Once you click ok the message keep popping and there's nothing to be done, other than kill the process on task manager. 

The work around of adding excel and word to the exclusion of real time scanning only works on windows office 2010. For windows office 2007 real time scanning needs to be turned off completely.

Is there anyway to roll back the update, Please I'm running out of options.

This Problems are happening in Mcafee LiveSafe as well.

McAfee LiveSafe

• Version: 16.0
  • Release Name: 16.0 R36

Components

• Affld: 885
  • Build 19.6.169
  • Language en-us
  • Last update: 8/18/2021
  • Version 19.6
14 Replies
Bharani_BD
Message 2 of 15

Re: Real Time Scanning , Can't Open Excel & Word on Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Office 2

Hi @WarriorneX 

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused, This is a known issue and our engineering team is working on this. We will update you as soon as we receive any information from them.

Thanks & Regards
Bharanidharan S.

Yuvarajan
Level 7
Message 3 of 15

Re: Real Time Scanning , Can't Open Excel & Word on Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Office 2010

Hi Bharanidharan,

Kindly let me know when we can expect the fix for this issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Yuvarajan.S

WarriorneX
Level 8
Message 4 of 15

Re: Real Time Scanning , Can't Open Excel & Word on Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Office 2

Is there any update in the fix of this problem, is already a week and nothing... please let me know...

There is a post that says issue fixed with update virusscan 24.7.157 today. Check it and see if it helps.

p8er
Level 9
Message 6 of 15

Did not fix it for me. I'm using Office 2013.

Ok sorry about that the user said it worked. Maybe version of office a factor as well. Best to call support or see if a mod adds anything more

Call McAfee support

Bharani_BD
Message 8 of 15

Hi @p8er 

We regret the inconvenience caused, please update the McAfee application to the latest version R16.0.36 or 16.0.37 and check if the issue persists. please let us know the outcome so we could take it further.

Thanks & Regards
Bharanidharan S

p8er
Level 9
Message 9 of 15

I've got Total Protection 16.0 R36 last update 8/17/2021 version 19.6, including component VirusScan 24.7.157 last update 9/1/2021.

Ran updates just now (but have been doing that often since this Excel issue started 2 weeks ago, then restarted PC.
Still have the same problem. Able to circumvent it by turning Real-Time Scanning off, then opening an Excel file (.xlsx), and then turning Real-Time Scanning back on. As long as I keep 1 Excel file open, I can open more of them without turning Real-Time Scanning off again.

GlennA
Level 7
Message 10 of 15

Latest update to Total Protection did not fix the issue for me. I'm using Office 2013.

I've got Total Protection Version 16.0  Release name 16.0 R37 with SecurityCenter build 19.7.26 last updated 9/1/2021

Still have the same problem. Able to circumvent it by turning Real-Time Scanning off, then opening an Excel file (.xlsx), and then turning Real-Time Scanning back on. 

When will a fix be available that works for Office 2013?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community