cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vip
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

Quickclean now takes minutes instead of seconds after Quickclean update on 1st Sept

Total Protection received an update on 1st September 2021.

McAfee QuickClean and Shredder

Build: 19.7.132

Last Update: 01/09/2021

Version: 19.7

Previously QuickClean's search for items and then cleaning would complete in less than 10 seconds for both.

Since the update QuickClean now takes 3 to 4 minutes on 'Looking for items in Internet Explorer'.  Once that completes the rest of looking for items completes near instantly.

After clicking Continue on 'Confirm QuickClean' it takes a further 3 to 4 minutes on Other System files, or if there are no Other System files to remove it will hang for 3 to 4 minutes on Temporary Files.  Even if there are only 2 files to remove of a size less than 2kb.

Is there anything that can be done to get back the previous speed?

Thanks.

EDIT: I use Quckclean daily and noticed it taking considerably longer yesterday 1st September.

7 Replies

Re: Quickclean now takes minutes instead of seconds after Quickclean update on 1st Sept

Hi @vip 

Greetings from McAfee!

kindly try reinstallation of McAfee and check the issue status. To confirm that QuickClean works, create a file in your temp folder, and then run QuickClean. You can expect the file is removed when QuickClean runs:

1. Press the Windows+R keys together.
  2. Type %temp% in the Run box and press Enter to open your Temp folder. 
  3. In the temp folder, create a text file and save it. You can create this file with Notepad.
  4. Open your McAfee software.
  5. Click the gear icon in the upper right.
  6. Select QuickClean (or click Remove Cookies). Your Temp directory is selected by default.
  7. Click Clean.
  8. Go back to your Temp folder and verify that the text file is gone.

If issue persist, kindly contact our technical support using below link.

McAfee Support

Regards,
Sudharsanam G

vip
Level 7
Message 3 of 8

Re: Quickclean now takes minutes instead of seconds after Quickclean update on 1st Sept

Hi, 

I created a txt file in the temp folder and verified that QuickClean does delete it, however I'm still seeing a 3 to 4 minute wait time in both places as detailed on my original post.

I then reinstalled Total Protection, verified a new txt file I created in the temp folder is deleted by QuickClean, however the issue persists.

I will contact McAfee Support and will post back here with the solution.

Thanks

vip
Level 7
Message 4 of 8

Hi, 

I followed the link you provided and then chose Technical Assistance then PC

which gives two options

1) Community: Which brings directs me back to this forum and their are links to connect to support on social media, however I don't have twitter/facebook/youtube accounts.

2) Chat: Which requests my phone number for account verification (a required field), however I've never provided a phone number on my McAfee account. I've checked my profile on my account at home.mcafee.com and my phone number is not listed, there is actually no field to enter a phone number. I would prefer not to give my phone number.

Please are you able to assist me with the QuickClean issue?

Just ran on my PC seems normal time. It is possible that the update did not install properly and an uninstall/reinstall might help but best to wait and see if a mod has further comments  and give it another go in a day or so.

The number is asked for if your chat drops out. I have given mine several times but I understand your reluctance.

vip
Level 7
Message 6 of 8

Hi

I already tried a reinstall on 2nd Sept but the issue persists.
@Peacekeeper given your rep I'm sure you had the following option selected when running QuickClean but please can you confirm, did you have QuickClean set to either clean all browsers or specific browsers with Internet Explorer selected. Also do you have internet explorer installed?

I'm running Win 10 Pro 20H2

@Sudharsanam_G1 

I've found if I have the following options on
Clean cookies, cache files and history in all my browsers
or
Choose what to clean in each browser with all the following selected
  Internet Explorer
    Cookies
    Cache
    History

Then I get the 3-4 minute wait time when checking internet explorer for files to remove and also a further 3-4 minute wait time when removing files however it displays that it is removing files from either other system files or temporary files during this 3 to 4 minutes.

If I immediately run quick clean again with the same options I get the same wait times in both places again.

If I however have the following option on
Choose what to clean in each browser with none of the following selected
  Internet Explorer
    Cookies
    Cache
    History

Then quick clean completes in less than 10 seconds.

It seems it's specifically an issue with checking & cleaning files from Internet Explorer.

Thanks

I do not use IE only firefox. IE was not selected but selected it and ran it and Firefox clean and completed as expected no delay. Unsure if that helps as I had nothing in IE or edge even.

See what the mod say but I cannot check what you mentioned as I do not want my Firefox history cleaned.

vip
Level 7
Message 8 of 8

Quickclean  updated to the below version today and issue is resolved.

Build: 19.8.117
Last update: 28/09/2021
Version: 19.8

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community