Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bob3
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

New, unasked for, unwanted feature I need help turning off

Suddenly today, I noticed a "McAfee Vaults" in Windows Explorer under This PC/Devices and Drives, along with all my local drives in my Windows 10 system.

I didn't ask for this, I don't want it, but I can find no way to remove this "McAfee Vaults" entry. How do I remove this thing I didn't ask for?

Also, looking around the McAfee app, this unwanted feature appears to be "File lock", under Settings in the app. It status is "ON" - I can't find a way to turn it "OFF" - every time I click on it, it shows a setup screen - it assumes I want to use it. I DO NOT. I want this feature OFF. How do I do this?

9 Replies
siddharth_r
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 10

Re: New, unasked for, unwanted feature I need help turning off

Please follow the below steps to remove McAfee along with McAfee Vault.

• Go-to to control panel
  • Right click on McAfee Application and select uninstall
  • In the next window select the check box to remove all McAfee files from computer
  • After uninstallation restart the computer
  • Once removing McAfee completely, re-install McAfee., don't install additional feature file lock if You doesn't want file vault.
1vu07k
Level 7
Message 3 of 10

"Once removing McAfee completely, re-install McAfee., don't install additional feature file lock if You doesn't want file vault."

I tried re-installing but there is no option to not install additional features .

Bob3
Level 8
Message 4 of 10

Just like the other person in this thread said.

I completely uninstalled Mcafee (including checking to remove all local files).

I rebooted a couple of times.

I reinstalled Mcafee. It never asked me if I wanted to install feature file lock, it just did it. And so when I went into settings, it did the same exact thing as before - it's on, and there's no way for me to turn it off.

So I ask again - HOW DO I TURN THIS FEATURE OFF THAT I NEVER ASKED FOR AND DO NOT WANT?

Bob3
Level 8
Message 5 of 10

Still waiting for an answer.

RichC
Level 8
Message 7 of 10

Can you move McAfee Vaults out of "Documents" to another location?

According to Customer Support, when you Create a Vault there is an Advanced Option to "change the default location or drive letter".  Does that move the bright red "McAfee Vaults" out of "Documents"? 

I saw somewhere when a new Vault is created in a new location the existing one is unchanged which compounds the problem.

Computer was slowing down decided to try the trial version and have come up with this same issue the last thing I want on my computer is a drive I never intended to use I am about to personally back up to an external and reboot my whole computer which is what I was trying to not do to begin with which is why I decided for the first time in decades to trust antivirus software to save me time go figure it didn't. Just glad I didn't pay for it and disappointed in myself for not reading reviews just didn't want to trust Kaspersky again guess all these companies are the same. 

JWBraun
Level 7
Message 9 of 10

Hey, i have the same troubble with that superflous and distzurbing ico on my desktop.
Why MA dont provide an update that removes that f*** feature and makes it optioonal??

I am with Mcafee since over 10 year, but nothing is for ethernity.
Hurry up in solution or i will quitt you!

markf
Level 7
Message 10 of 10

PLEASE PLEASE TELL US HOW TO REMOVE ALL TRACES OF MCAFEE VAULT FROM WINDOWS 10 WITH MCAFEE TOTAL PROTECTION!!

Currently the Vault appears in an old OneDrive folder.  I cannot delete that folder because of the Vault.  I tried renaming it, and now I have two Vaults in the folder.  These Vaults are not seen within McAfee's File Protection window.

There is also an annoying McAfee icon in my Devices and Drives file explorer window.

PLEASE RID US OF OLD VAULTS ASAP!!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community