cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Important: your Email Address was found on the Dark Web

I know the pop-ups aren’t uncommon but this dark web one is worrying me because suddenly I’m being charged for something I don’t even have on my phone and app for for movies, I don’t watch movies, at the moment I entered my email address which I thought was a bit odd because I thought the cafe would already have that but it said enter your email address and we will check on the dark web to see if your email is showing up anyway. And apparently it says click to get report, however,  when you click to get a report, you don’t get any report! You don’t get any email, you don’t get nothing, and I’ve got full McAfee protection right across all my devices, my laptop, my mobile everything! Including my daughters devices. So why isn’t McAfee acting on these things?!

reneq
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 12 of 40

I've also gotten this popup twice today. can you confirm this is a threat or something McAfee actually does? it looks nonsuspicious especially if it pops up on your website. I've attached a screenshot of the second time it has appeared with my email autofilled.

Mice
Level 7
Message 13 of 40

I too got this pop-up twice this evening, and it did look legit.

I did however find this on the McAfee website, and apparently McAfee does monitor the dark web for your personal details so it might be legit, but still not sure:  https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-us/assets/fact-sheets/fs-mcafee-idtp.pdf

Yes that’s it!
I am perplexed as to why it would say check and not give any details. What intrigues me is in hindsight mine said before entering my email that my email was discovered to be 11 times on the dark web. We need McAfee to verify if this is them or not.

Do McAfee even bother reading these forums, or are they just leaving their users to fend for themselves after something happens?!
Mor45
Level 7
Message 15 of 40

Just happened to me while using PayPal

Dead link, no way of finding the breach

Dont know what to do

Not showing on https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Mor45
Level 7
Message 16 of 40

breatchwatch tells me yes Im compromised
It is McAfee safe but wants to play pokies and wants $5 a month
Mor45
Level 7
Message 17 of 40

I went to online chat that gave me a phone number for Identity Protection and after put on hold 10 minutes due to high volume, told me to login to protection.mcafee.com, wanted remote access which I declined, pressed the button and its been resolved, not happy because it doesnt say which account is breached or what the password is so I cant change it. Asked to speak to supervisor who said will ring back in a few hours. 

WT?! Nah it can’t be McAfee if it’s playing games, surely! :flushed_face:
Leelee13
Level 8
Message 19 of 40

Just got the same thing. A very legit looking pop up offering to check to see if my email address is on the dark web, email address already filled in, says it's been found on the dark web. Changed passwords for everything just in case.

Would be nice to know if it's legit or not.

Andrew58
Level 7
Message 20 of 40

I logged on to this.... protection.mcafee.com

It seems to be a sort of add-on which doesn't appear on Total Protection, but has all the McAfee certificates and uses exactly the same graphics as the pop-up.

It allows you to add other emails to be monitored and after a bit of clicking around, shows the

sites which it suggests are problems and what to do (change password...!).

These matched other methods of finding the same info & allows you to note that you've 'fixed'

them (as far as that is possible).

So it's all a bit badly organised and not sure it's that useful.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community