cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tn
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 19

How to Stop McAfee Notifications/Popups on Windows Desktop?

Jump to solution

Periodically McAfee Total Protection pops up an intrusive advertisement or pointless notification on our Windows desktops, interrupting our work. I attached a montage of some that I captured. I have turned off every relevant setting that I can find, and searches so far seem to indicate that these popups cannot be disabled. I consider these to be SPAM and reflective of an intrusive design philosophy that does not value a customer's time and priorities.

Does anyone know how to disable McAfee notifications/popups? I've used McAfee for many years and am due for renewal next month. If these intrusions cannot be turned off then I need to find another security solution. 

MCAFEE.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tn
Level 8
Message 15 of 19

Re: How to Stop McAfee Notifications/Popups on Windows Desktop?

Jump to solution

I'm happy to report that I have discovered the solution to this problem. Note how McAfee starts this process with a lie:

McAfee4.png

Uninstalling McAfee automatically reverts to Windows Defender. Protection never lapses.

McAfee6.png

I would like to thank the McAfee marketing department. Without their offensive disruptions I would have blindly renewed my subscription and never realized that there are many superior security suites available.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
Rajiv__s
Level 10
Message 2 of 19

Jump to solution

Hello @Tn ,

Sorry about the inconvenience these pop ups are information alerts we have a option to disable these alerts open McAfee UI click on settings>> General Settings and information alerts>> Information Alerts>> make sure the check box is unchecked and click on apply. This should disable the alerts if in case you still face any problem kindly reply to this post.

Regards,
Rajiv S

Tn
Level 8
Message 3 of 19

Jump to solution

The "WARNING Your virus protection is expiring!" billboard popped up again yesterday while I was engaged in important work. It forced me to click "Accept risk" despite that fact that I have 7 weeks remaining on my subscription! I'm finding it difficult to entrust my security to a company that engages in such an intrusive, deceptive and threatening practice.

"Informational alerts" is definitely unchecked. Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Tn
Level 8
Message 4 of 19

Jump to solution

Again, the "WARNING Your virus protection is expiring!" SPAM billboard hijacked the desktop on a different Windows machine while it was in use for work. I have 7 weeks remaining on my subscription and "Informational alerts" is unchecked (photo attached). 

Is there anything I can do other than change to a different security product? If McAfee has no qualms about randomly covering a quarter of the desktop with a blue overlay and an "Accept Risk" button, what's next? Full blue screen with a "Pay Ransom" button?

Tn
Level 8
Message 5 of 19

Jump to solution

Unbelievable, McAfee itself is behaving like a virus/ransomware. Despite the fact that I have all alert and notification settings for McAfee turned off, and regardless of the 6.5 weeks that remain on my subscription, this more threatening spam screen overlay appeared on 2 of my PCs while they were in use for work:

McAfeeThreat.png

Tn
Level 8
Message 6 of 19

Jump to solution

McAfee continues to interrupt our work with deceptive popups:

McAfee.png

In this case, anyone trying to quickly dismiss the intrusion could inadvertently alter their browser!

Does McAfee offer any control over desktop popups other than this?

McAfee2.png

Tn
Level 8
Message 7 of 19

Jump to solution

Unbelievable. Immediately after my last post McAfee SPAMMED me with this:

McAfee3.png

Tn
Level 8
Message 8 of 19

Jump to solution

Again, despite a month remaining on my subscription, McAfee Total Spam blocked my Windows desktop with a blue screen overlay:

McAfee2.png

Is there no setting to prevent these threatening and intrusive disruptions from McAfee?

Jump to solution

This is marketing group doing this when I was a Volunteer mod here we volunteers tried to get this stopped or at least turned off manually but even the managers could not get this changed.

I expect mine will start in 4 months or so as well. I am unsure if this inability to stop has changed but I do not feel it has sorry.

Tn
Level 8
Message 10 of 19

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. McAfee has attacked my desktops with a couple more blue overlays that I've already posted screenshots of, and this new one today:

McAfee3.png

McAfee is just 2 small changes away from becoming ransomware: go full screen and remove the Accept Risk button. Hijacking Windows desktops in this way is the worst marketing intrusion on customers I've seen from a mainstream professional Windows software company. What's next? Random takeovers of the whole desktop for 5 minutes to demonstrate the "dangerous online threats"? 

The solution appears to require dropping the McAfee subscription and buying a reputable competitor. Does anyone have recommendations? 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community