cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarthPhoenix
Contributor II
Message 1 of 4

How to Disable McAfee Firewall and Enable Windows Firewall in Total Protection 16.0 R41

Jump to solution

I do not personally like the GUI for the firewall rules in McAfee and it's way clunky to load for my configuration, and it's a bit painful to scroll through the rules due to all the spacing.  

I know how to disable McAfee Firewall.

My question is how do I enable Windows Firewall after McAfee Firewall is disabled.

Problem. After I disable McAfee Firewall with option of never restarting automatically, Windows still states that the settings are being managed by McAfee Personal Firewall. Please see attached image.

Desired outcome. Enable Windows Firewall while having all other McAfee modules (except firewall) active for McAfee Total Protection.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarthPhoenix
Contributor II
Message 4 of 4

Re: How to Disable McAfee Firewall and Enable Windows Firewall in Total Protection 16.0 R41

Jump to solution

> Reviewed to see if I could attempt a quick GPO workaround

> Reviewed to see of I could attempt a registry edit workaround

Noticed that Windows Security > Firewall & Network protection > Manage providers

MacAfee had "snooze" when disabled... I think that may have been in part why settings were locked.

Not ideal outcome, but I had to run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR).

https://service.mcafee.com/?articleId=TS101331&page=shell&shell=article-view

Would like future product update to play a bit more nice with Windows Firewall.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Bharani_BD
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 4

Re: How to Disable McAfee Firewall and Enable Windows Firewall in Total Protection 16.0 R41

Jump to solution

Hi @DarthPhoenix 

Please follow the below article and let us know if you face any difficulties. Click the link below to go through the article. 

https://service.mcafee.com/?locale=en-US&articleId=TS101322 

Thanks & Regards
Bharanidharan S

DarthPhoenix
Contributor II
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

@Bharani_BD I reviewed the linked article.  Per my original post, I already performed those steps, so this link could be useful for other people that were not aware of those steps.

This time I had a bit more time and after performing those steps rebooted my computer.

However, having the McAfee firewall is successfully confirmed disabled, McAfee still prevents me from enabling Windows Firewall. Please see new attached image.

I am seeking additional troubleshooting to avoid this additional McAfee restrictions to enable Windows built-in firewall. Is there a setting somewhere else I need to adjust?

Thanks!

DarthPhoenix
Contributor II
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

> Reviewed to see if I could attempt a quick GPO workaround

> Reviewed to see of I could attempt a registry edit workaround

Noticed that Windows Security > Firewall & Network protection > Manage providers

MacAfee had "snooze" when disabled... I think that may have been in part why settings were locked.

Not ideal outcome, but I had to run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR).

https://service.mcafee.com/?articleId=TS101331&page=shell&shell=article-view

Would like future product update to play a bit more nice with Windows Firewall.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community