Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimmcd01
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Firewall is blocking all browsers

Jump to solution

Using Release 16.0 R43, Build 19.13.171. Firewall is blocking both Edge and Chrome. I have disabled NetGuard, and enabled All Devices for Chrome in Internet Connections for Programs. Internet connection is fine; all other programs are fine. Only browsers are blocked. When I disable the firewall, browsers suddenly work fine. Please advise.

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Hari_durairaj
Message 3 of 8

Re: Firewall is blocking all browsers

Jump to solution

Hi @jimmcd01 

Greetings from McAfee.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. Kindly follow the below steps to fix the issue.

• Make sure your windows is up-to-date.
  • Open Run(Windows+R) >> Type netsh winsock reset >> Click Ok
  • Open Command Prompt >> Type Ipconfig /flushdns >> Click Enter
  • Reboot the Computer 
  • Open McAfee >> settings >> protect home network >> trust this network
  • Restore the McAfee Firewall to default

Kindly update us the outcome. Feel free to reach our McAfee Consumer Support team by accessing the below link.

McAfee Consumer Support

Regards,
Hari

View solution in original post

Hari_durairaj
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi @jimmcd01 

Greetings from McAfee.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. I have sent a private message to you, kindly revert with the required details to help you further.

Regards,
Hari

Hari_durairaj
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi @jimmcd01 

Greetings from McAfee.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. I have sent a private message to you, kindly revert with the required details to help you further.

Regards,
Hari

7 Replies
jimmcd01
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Also have uninstalled and re-installed McAfee, and have uninstalled and re-installed Chrome.

Hari_durairaj
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi @jimmcd01 

Greetings from McAfee.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. Kindly follow the below steps to fix the issue.

• Make sure your windows is up-to-date.
  • Open Run(Windows+R) >> Type netsh winsock reset >> Click Ok
  • Open Command Prompt >> Type Ipconfig /flushdns >> Click Enter
  • Reboot the Computer 
  • Open McAfee >> settings >> protect home network >> trust this network
  • Restore the McAfee Firewall to default

Kindly update us the outcome. Feel free to reach our McAfee Consumer Support team by accessing the below link.

McAfee Consumer Support

Regards,
Hari

jimmcd01
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Followed instructions above; unfortunately the problem still exists. I see on the McAfee support pages Document ID : TS102946, which indicates this is a known problem without a current resolution. The suggested workarounds either do not work (Disable NetGuard, Uninstall/Reinstall) or are unacceptable (Disable Firewall, Disable VPN). How can I reinstall and run an earlier version until the problem resolution is found?

Hari_durairaj
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi @jimmcd01 

Greetings from McAfee.

Regards,
Hari

jimmcd01
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

I received and replied to the private message, which asked for contact information and a convenient time to contact me. I received no further contact, and the time I suggested passed yesterday without contact. I have now been forced to fully uninstall all McAfee services, and am exploring alternatives.

Hari_durairaj
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi @jimmcd01 

Greetings from McAfee.

Regards,
Hari

renzof93
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi @jimmcd01 @Hari_durairaj 

I've just encountered the same problem with my gf's pc yesterday. Today, again trying to fix it, mine started having the same behaviour.

Perhaps my case is very specific, but I'd recommend you to disable any ad blockers and those apps and try again. Not the ones in the browsers. I mean desktop apps that do so.

My case? Same error, but disabling a feature from my VPN provider (that blocks malicious software, ads, etc) everything is back to normal. I can keep my Firewall, my VPN connection and let Chrome's (or wtvr browser you happen to be using) extensions to block all the bad stuff.

proof.png 
Here, as an example, you can see how switching to the Lite version was the fix for me.

Let me know if that helped in any way. Hope it does and is something as silly as it was for me in the end.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community