Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
normski
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

Firewall activation and scanning on Mac OS Big Sur and Monterey

I am trying to turn on the firewall after a brand new installation of Total Protection to a brand new MacBook (Monterey 12.0.1) however the firewall will not turn on. Also when trying to run a scan McAfee crashes out (unexpected termination no error codes) I am having similar problem on my old MacBook which is running big Sur. Have tried follow any guidance to resolve these problems but so far no joy. Can anyone help please?

3 Replies

Re: Firewall activation and scanning on Mac OS Big Sur and Monterey

Hi @normski 

We regret for the inconvenience. Kindly refer the below article that has instructions on how to enable firewall. 

Grant permissions to enable McAfee Firewall in macOS Catalina and Big Sur

Also try the below steps

Open system preferences> Security& Privacy> Click on Allow for McAfee and check issue status. 

Alternatively, You can always contact the chat support using below link for technical assistance.

McAfee Support

Regards,
Sudharsanam G

normski
Level 7
Message 3 of 4

Thanks. Have to say the article is the best as the screen shots and instructions are either out of date or unclear. e.g Click on the M button on the menu bar - there isn't such a thing on the Mac or at least not for Total Protection. However was able to find within the system preferences, general tab of the Mac, that Mcafee extensions were blocked - removing that block resolved the firewall problem for both laptops and the older one, running running Big Sur, can now also run scans. The new MacBook running. Monterey on the other hand is failing with an unexpected Total Protection error. I can click into the report and get lots of info, but meaningless to me. 

So to be clear full scan still not working with Monterey

Bharani_BD
Message 4 of 4

Hi @normski 

Please check if the Mac inbuild firewall is On from system preferences>>security & privacy>>firewall, turn it off if it is enabled. check if there is any third party antivirus programs and try enabling the firewall.

Thanks & Regards
Bharanidharan S

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community