cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: File Lock Replacement

Thanks for the suggestion.  I found a freeware product called SecretFolder that works with Windows 10.  It provides a password protected vault to store folders in.  It also hides the folders while they are locked  I checked it out and it seems to work as advertised.  I tested out the "forgot password" functionality and it works.  It is only provides one level password protection for the folders in the vault which is the same as the McAfee Vault provided.  No encryption involved.  Seems to work for me and it was FREE.

dj47
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 12 of 15

Where did you download Secret Folder from? There are so many places that have downloads and some may be malicious. I went to OHSoft which is the official website. I installed the program, but it is full of adverts. Did you download from a different location or is there an option to get rid of the adverts?

I feel your pain with the advertisements.  I put up with them since this is freeware that provides file folder protection that I only use a few times each week.  I have not been able to figure out how to shutdown the adds and especially the web page that opens when you close down the SecretFolder app.  Meanwhile McAfee sits there fat, dumb and ignorant to  our needs.

Mike9
Level 7
Message 14 of 15

Totally agree with you and others user comments. As I look for other trustworthy options, I will also be looking for a McAfee replacement towards the end of my subscription. 

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 15

recently i noticed a posting done by mcafee mod that File Lock will be soon EOL (End of Life) and will be removed from features in Total Protection and Livesafe.

all the info is in the following service doc to read;

McAfee KB - Feature Removal: File Lock in McAfee software for Windows (TS103182)

maybe this is of interest to know perhaps

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community