Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Happyas51
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 25

Excel files will not open because live scan does not complete

I have Office 2013. It was operating normally until recently. Now when I try to open many Excel files I see the running virus scan notice, but it never completes and opens the file. I have made sure Mcafee Total Protection and Office 2013 are up to date.

24 Replies

Re: Excel files will not open because live scan does not complete

@Happyas51 

Please share the McAfee version that is installed on your computer. Also, from when you have noticed this issue.

Regards
Siva N

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
Miko1
Level 8
Message 3 of 25

I have McAfee LiveSafe Version 16.0 (16.0 R35) and Excel 2013 (same issue with Excel 2010)

Miko1
Level 8
Message 4 of 25

This started happening yesturday

Miko1
Level 8
Message 5 of 25

This is the 3rd PC and I think the last one has Excel 2016

@Miko1 

Please let us know from when you have noticed this issue and the McAfee version that is installed on your PC. Also share the error screenshot pertaining to the issue.

Regards
Siva N

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
p8er
Level 9
Message 7 of 25

There are 2 more topics about this issue: 

McAfee Support Community - Live Safe is stopping Excel opening files with err... - Page 2 - McAfee S...

and 

McAfee Support Community - Mcafee Real Time Scanning not allowing Excel & Wor... - McAfee Support Co...

A simple workaround that works for me: 

Temporarily stop running Real Time Scanning, then open a new, empty Excel file, then immediately turn Real Time Scanning back on, and keep that empty Excel file open all day long, and don't use it. Any other Excel files you now open while you already have an Excel file open, will not be affected by the issue.

TArnold1
Level 7
Message 8 of 25

Hi @p8er 

I tried your suggestion, and I was not able to experience the same success.  I disabled VirusScan, launched a blank xlsx, turned on VirusScan, launched the xlsx I was hoping to use, and ran into the same OLE error.

For me, at least, the only solution has been to disable VirusScan while I'm working on my spreadsheets.  Luckily, I can structure my activities to focus just on internal spreadsheets and leave VirusScan off, then turn it back on when I'm finished and doing other computer activities.

p8er
Level 9
Message 9 of 25

That's a shame, @TArnold1 ... sorry to have gotten your hopes up :(

JC2
Level 7
Message 10 of 25

I'm on McAfee Total Protection and having the same issue with Excel not opening any of my Excel files and Excel rendering my files as "damaged".

On disabling McAfee, the same Excel files open up fine.

McAfee Support, please provide solution ASAP.

Thanks

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community