Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mux
Contributor
Message 21 of 43

Re: Alert viewer not responding

Jump to solution

I have LiveSafe but this exact same problem, since a few windows updates ago.

I *have* found a workaround to kill it for a while without rebooting, freeing up the RAM and CPU like it never happened. I did not see this workaround mentioned in any other thread on this issue (lots of them!), but many people seem to have to reboot constantly, so I wanted to put this out there to help (minding the disclaimer below!).

This workaround doesn't seem to affect the operation of the main functions of the program (AV, on-demand), and it may still prevent a "new" browser from accessing the internet (like Chrome with every update!), since you can't click allow/deny when the broken alertviewer first pops up. I can add programs to the allowed list manually under "Internet Connections for Programs", which should get around the AlertViewer bug preventing the initial allow/deny selection.

Disclaimer:

I haven't tested extensively, but my disclaimer is that this workaround allows you to kill the hung AlertViewer and leaky Chromium Delegate process(es), without modifying any files. So you can free up your resources until they decide to spawn again, but you can kill them again as often as you need. It seems by killing them, it might allow that "new browser" to access the internet, even if you never clicked allow/deny the normal way. So this may be introducing a hole in the traffic controller part of the firewall, which you will have to decide if it's worth it (or if you can confirm it only makes a hole for that one program you needed to allow and no others).

For me, it allows me to use my PC again quickly and Chrome and Firefox seem to be the only programs that change often enough to require an allow/deny popup, so I guess I have accepted the risks, knowing a fix HOPEFULLY is coming from McAfee soon...

I have had to do this every few days, especially when Chrome or Firefox updates. However, it allows you to work without rebooting.

Workaround:

McAfee has "Access Protection" on by default, and this setting prevents its files from being modified or killed in Task Manager.

->Click on the Settings cog on the bottom left of the main window (it might be different on TotalProtection. I hope it even has this setting!).

->Then click General Settings, and look for the "Access Protection" option and turn it off.

Turning off Access Protection allows you to kill any of the McAfee programs in Task Manager.

In our case here, AlertViewer is hung and using tons of RAM and one or more "Chromium Container Delegate" programs are trying to steal all of your CPU.

First kill AlertViewer, which closes the white popup. Then you must quickly kill the Chromium Container Delegate that is using the most CPU/RAM. Once those both close there might be some other Chromium Container Delegates still running, so you might have to kill those quickly before AlertViewer spawns again, with new Chromium Container Delegates!

Once you have to do it a few times, you'll get the sequence, but it keeps it at bay for a while.

Many times the AlertViewer seems to work fine for a while, so I don't know...

You can also choose to turn Access Protection back on afterwards, but I keep it off to be able to kill this crap quickly when it pops back up.

Bob3
Contributor II
Message 22 of 43

Jump to solution

I bit the bullet and uninstalled/reinstalled on one of my machines. That worked for like 3 days. Now we're back to the same old problem. So, you guys can UnSOLVED this topic. Thanks.

Maverik
Contributor II
Message 23 of 43

Jump to solution

Problem has not returned on either computer after the reinstall, but I also ran windows updates several times over a few reboots including getting updates for 21H2.

Kazimierz
Contributor II
Message 24 of 43

Jump to solution

How long you'll be fixing this bug??

It is a joke. Reinstalling does not work.

Kazimierz
Contributor II
Message 25 of 43

Jump to solution

It annoys me terribly, an empty window popped up just when I had an incoming call from my boss on Skype and in order to unblock it I had to enter the antivirus settings and disable the firewall completely. At that time stupid Skype crashed and I had to restart it separately. I'm already disgusted with McAfee that nothing has happened with it for a few weeks now. 

ormedic
Contributor II
Message 26 of 43

Jump to solution

Reinstalling is a joke.  This time it lasted 3 days before the bug started again.  MCAFEE PLEASE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE as it directly hinders the use of McAfee.  I expected much more from McAfee as I have used them for over a decade but the refusal or inability of them to fix this bug has caused me to rethink continuing to use the product as it is worthless if I cannot decide what programs I want connecting as McAfee's smart monitor often blocks programs that are fine and I want to connect.  

I have tried using the chat on the customer service and the rep that I got knew less about the program than I do.  The second time I tried calling the customer service number but it refused to connect me with an IT person so I went through chat and was able to get transferred to a person via the phone but that was no more help than the first rep was as all he did was reinstall the program and act like everything was fixed. 

It will take a lot for me to even consider renewing my McAfee and am seriously considering asking for a prorated refund because of their inability to keep their app running properly.  There are too many other products out there for me to continue to use a broken product where the company either can't or won't fix it.  

Bob3
Contributor II
Message 27 of 43

Jump to solution

OK, WTF.

My work-around has been putting the firewall into Smart Access mode, but even that is starting to block some of my programs now!

THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR WEEKS. WHEN ARE YOU PEOPLE GOING TO FIX THIS???

ormedic
Contributor II
Message 28 of 43

Jump to solution

MCAFEE WHY ARE YOU IGNORING THIS PROBLEM???

Please someone with McAfee stop ignoring your customers and start fixing this problem that has been going on for almost a month now.

I for one am sick of having to constantly download and reload McAfee just to have a functioning computer.  As it is now, because of the problem not being fixed,  I wind up with a memory drain and have to uninstall and reinstall McAfee.  

McAfee used to be a reliable product with good customer service but this is worse than a bad joke.  I am ready to dump McAfee and find a more reliable product with decent customer service!!!!   I have been a customer for almost two decades.  Do you realize your running off loyal customers because you are refusing to address this issue?.

Kazimierz
Contributor II
Message 29 of 43

Jump to solution

Why this topic has a SOLVED tag? Nothing is solved yet. 

EptesicusOnline
Contributor
Message 30 of 43

Jump to solution

McAfee responded that they were working on this three weeks ago - apparently it is not a very high priority for them.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community